[Faith-talk] various comments

Sandra Streeter sandrastreeter381 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 14:02:57 UTC 2017

Ericka, only in the sense of, like, changing “men” to “people,” or “if anyone... then they”, which creeps out my grammatical extremism, but I’m okay with that! Nothing very heretical. the other thing is, I think the foundation underneath taking gender-neutral to a certain extreme is a bit shaky—it all seems to be motivated by not wanting to offend, or not wanting women to feel inferior—but, the root (and, I think, the need for healing) goes far deeper than a change in wording. You all know I’m a word-nerd, but even I draw lines—though, I suppose that’s part of being a word-nerd, h’mm... At any rate, as much as I believe there’s life and death in the power of the tongue, I don’t think changing a few words is going to get at the root issues. Am I making any sense at all? I am aware of the fact that the fall did women no favors—we have legitimate suffering, but I just don’t know if changing some wording goes far enough.

At any rate: also, thanks for clarifying “C&E”—I hadn’t encountered that one, either.

Sandra

One can never consent to creep, when one feels an impulse to soar.
(Helen Keller)

---