[Faith-talk] Vacation

Jenny Keller jlperdue3 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 03:03:56 UTC 2017

Hey Erica question have a quick question for you actually.

Coming from a Missouri Synod confirmation and beginning when I got back into the Christian faith, I was always told that communion was actually the body and blood of Christ, I was curious as to whether the ELCA also feels that way, or does it feel like it's a symbol. I don't know why that really matters, but, it's not a dealbreaker for me. To me communion is what you make it. If you want and truly believe that it's the body and blood of Christ, then it is. It doesn't have to be that way for everybody. Still thinking on the gay lesbian situation.

Yeah, we all have stuff that we shouldn't be doing. And we do, but, I don't know, I just have to do some more praying. Thank you for bringing that up, and will bring it up to the ELC a pastor at another church because the pastor I was going to speak with from Trinity, which is the one that has the service, is on vacation. So, hopefully, I can get a hold of him or her, and be able to ask these questions. I just like to know why.

And also, the Catholics would agree, if they know that you are actively gay, you cannot have any sacrament in the church until you stop. You have to have completely stopped, confession, and then get back to the rest of it, you don't get to play actively gay and receive communion in the Catholic Church. But, I just wanted to ask about that one too from my Catholic friends.

The priest and the person have to figure that out on their own. You're right, no human being can make that distinction. And, to a Catholic person, a priest is the conduit between you and God and God when you are making confession. But that has to be your responsibility to make sure that you are making an honest and sincere confession. I think the church believes that the sacraments are holy, and that no person who is unclean, or willingly sinful. And not repentant. Should have anything to do with it.

I was married to my ex-husband and was not in the Catholic Church. When I came back, I was unable to receive communion because I was living in sin according to the church. Since I was not married to him in the church itself. It was a nightmare to try to fix it with his annulment. Mine was easy. But, some shady stuff had to go down to even get his annulment. Because there was no corroboration of his abuse and his marriage. So, I'm actually glad that things happen the way it did. Regardless, and the Catholic faith anyway, we did it this honestly has annulment I mean. So, I waited until either we were married in the church, which now, I really feel, and believe, that it did not come real because of the dishonesty of the annulment for him. So, the day after we separated I receive confession, I received my first communion after a very long time. But, I see both sides.

Jenny