[Faith-talk] Faith-Talk Digest, Vol 119, Issue 21

Ericka dotwriter1 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 02:25:01 UTC 2017

Could you share that article with us Christine? That makes sense to me what you said. I grew up in the UCC church and I had so many questions. Back in the 80s my congregation was more ritualistic. Now I am glad that I left because they have taken most of that out of the service. It just doesn't feel right. But the church of Christ where some of my friends attended didn't seem right either. Episcopal church in Catholic parishes I visited in college gave me a new world of understanding. However I settled in on the Lutheran Church, the most liberal of them and it felt right because it combined ritual and questioning plus a focus on  servanthood attitude. Thankfully I have not had  a problem with transportation to a church that does not have a band. I totally agree that rock 'n' roll bands do not belong in church. Contemporary Christian music does not mean this, but it can mean music from other cultures. I really appreciate global Sunday because it reminds us that we are not just a church family and only one area but worldwide. The music, prayers and many times the offering are celebrating our sisters and brothers worldwide well focusing on the lectionary. That all are reading in churches. I have noticed that many times the readings for the day for us are the same as in the Catholic Church.

Well I am no Skyler on Martin Luther, but maybe he would welcome gays into the fold and love them like a brother or sister. He was very much for education, inclusion, and was definitely tortured and ostracized for his views.  you know, we really don't know how many "friends" in the past shared an apartment under the guise of it being cheaper than transportation to their job perhaps out of town from family.  Somehow I cannot believe that every spinster on the planet or bachelor farmer just couldn't find a match. My grandparents are in their mid 90s and they say cohabitation of gay people's been going on forever, people just didn't talk about it. The world in the "good old days" wasn't really any different it just wasn't talked about and I think that's what bothers people. Just my two cents about the gay/lesbian thing. I don't care if they're in my congregation, take communion or wherever they participate. They're human beings first you need to be loved, encouraged and wanted. Or someone with a different way of looking at things that may and may not be biological. Just remember the ideas of the Jews being clean and tidy and washing things like pots and pans was pretty weird everybody else. This was way before germs were discovered to back them up. There are many more passages speaking of caring for and loving each other in the Bible than calling out homosexual behavior. The 10 Commandments and the subsequent addition to the commandments given by Jesus "love one another as I have loved you" is much more important to me. It also says "love your neighbor as you love yourself." Do not be afraid is also repeated over 100 times in the Bible.

Well this post got a little out of hand at the end here. I do cherish all the responses on this list but I just couldn't let this not want to engage people in the congregation thing go. How can one say "I love you and you're welcome" without telling them that they're screwed up because of how they feel love and affection for someone? Remember wasn't so long ago that pastors refused acknowledge or even respect a man woman relationship between races. Blacks had to marry blacks. White had to marry whites. I don't see this as two different.

Ericka Short