[Faith-talk] Communion

Linda Mentink mentink at frontiernet.net
Thu Jun 29 17:50:32 UTC 2017

Good afternoon All,

As far as I know, the Bible doesn't say how often we should
partake of the body and blood of Christ.  It says that, as often
as we do it, we should do it in remembrance of Christ.  In the
church here, we do it at the end of our Sunday evening services,
unless that service is a wedding.  This may be partly because
it's called the Lord's Supper, and supper is the evening meal.
We remain seated, and the trays are passed down the pews by the
members, with the deacons at the ends to take the trays to the
next pew.  The bread is passed, our pastor reads in the Bible
where Jesus and His disciples partake of the body, and then he
asks one of the deacons to pray.  Then we eat it together.  The
same is done for the drinking of the blood, but we use grape
juice.  Because we remain seated, no special arrangements have to
be made for the elderly and the blind, and it goes rather quickly
and quietly.  Our organist plays during the passing of the
elements, and stops when speaking is heard.  I like that because
I am often distracted by listening to the music while someone
prays.  We have silence during prayers, also, making it easier to
focus on the prayers.

Blessings,

Linda