[Faith-talk] The Bible and America

sarah at sarahblakelarose.com sarah at sarahblakelarose.com
Mon May 15 10:15:14 UTC 2017

Linda, I'm glad that your community is prospering. It is not that way in all communities. I am not advocating "cutting out" any portion of Scripture--you are putting words in my mouth and that is very offensive to me. I am encouraging you to read Scripture within its historical context and also to take a look at how one passage relates to the whole of Scripture. You read very literally. Do you also believe that we are to stone people if they are caught in the act of adultery, or to exercise any of the other punitive laws prescribed in Leviticus? I would assume not, because you would say that we have the grace of Christ for people who have sinned. Yet those things, too, are in the Bible. If you wish to read the Bible literally and prescribe from it for how we are to live, you must do it in a consistent manner. Otherwise, you must come to terms with how oppressive a literal reading of Scripture can sometimes be.