[Faith-talk] general comment

Sandra Streeter sandrastreeter381 at gmail.com
Fri May 19 21:12:13 UTC 2017

Looking at recent posts, and at my life within church generally lately: looks like we all could learn a thing or two about respectfulness toward our brothers and sisters. Sometimes, our interpretation of remarks on screen can have to do with lack of data from voice tones, facial expressions and other body language (though, for whatever reason, having Aspergers makes written words less-likely to be offensive—possibly I process them differently than all the multiple channels of other data that come in when I’m on the phone or face-to-face. When I’m in groups of people, I tend to be the quiet “fly on the wall” much of the time, and when I occasionally say something, I’m told that I cut through to whatever the main issue is that everyone else is skirting. On other occasions, though, I say things that, until everyone reacts, I don’t realize can be interpreted as offensive (try as I might to filter it so that it doesn’t, sometimes to the point of over-thinking). Less risky in writing, though, since I have more time and space to be super-analytical about posts and also about possible responses, before I hit “send”. BTW, has anyone read the book about email etiquette, called “Send”? It’s on my book-list! Sometimes, you just can’t please everyone, no matter how careful you are. Anyway, enough for the moment.

Sandra

Not “Revelation” – tis – that waits
But our unfurnished eyes –
(Emily Dickinson)