[Faith-talk] For Catholics with special needs, a religious education that includes | USCatholic.org

Ericka dotwriter1 at gmail.com
Sat May 20 20:45:38 UTC 2017

Debby do not stop posting! I like your pists. I am not offended.  I can't speak for others but I did all that you suggested for all the reasons you stated here. You gave good universal advice Debby! I am not ashamed and very tactful about asking for my needs. I don't try to take advantage either.  I hate when people do that. That gives blind people a terrible image. Curious, what didn't you like about that first parish? I just wish this issue was so simply settled as you shared.

I am really happy you have had such good experiences. That is wonderful!  Perhaps your music skills helped you  break the ice. If others hear your great voice you'll probably get asked to join choir. The Lutheran church did that to my husband. He also played trumpet there. Not all of us have that ability. My gifts aren't as obvious.

Like any relationship, It takes just as much effort for both sides. I showed up every Sunday and nobody spoke back even when I initiated interaction. If i needed the bathroom, sure but not on a more petsonal level. I called the office & no help. We attended new member programs & other events. Nobody even asked if my husband & i wanted to volunteer. It wasn't a completely vision issue. My husband was sighted so I had transportation. We went to other parishes with same results. We gave up & attended the lutheran church, a 10 minute walk from home and was welcomed. There were 10 Catholic parishes in Kenosha then and all treated us the same. Sometimes it IS the attitude towards newcomers and sometimes it is something else.

Ericka Short
from my iPhone 6+