[Faith-talk] God & the mmoon

Rob Kaiser rcubfank at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 3 00:40:14 UTC 2017

Great Article.

Rob Kaiser

Email;

rcubfank at sbcglobal.net

Date: Sat, Sep 2, 2017

Subject: Re: The Moon and God

The Moon (& God) - VERY INTERESTING -

What was the first liquid and food consumed on the moon? I'm betting that
most are unaware of this story.

Forty-five years ago, two human beings changed history by walking on the
surface of the moon. But, what happened before Buzz Aldrin and Neil
Armstrong exited the Lunar Module is perhaps even more amazing, if only
because so few people know about it. I'm talking about the fact that Buzz
Aldrin took communion on the surface of the moon. Some months after his
return, he wrote about it in Guideposts magazine.

The background to the story is that Aldrin was an elder at his Presbyterian
Church in Texas during this period in his life; and, knowing that he would
soon be doing something unprecedented in human history, he felt that he
should mark the occasion somehow. He asked his minister to help him and so
the minister consecrated a communion wafer and a small vial of communion
wine. Buzz Aldrin took them with him out of the Earth's orbit andonto the
surface of the moon. He and Armstrong had only been on the lunar surface for
a few minutes when Aldrin made the following public statement:

This is the LM (Lunar Module) pilot. I'd like to take this opportunity to
ask every person listening in, whoever and wherever they may be, to pause
for a moment and contemplate the events of the past few hours and to give
thanks in his or her own way. He then ended radio communication, and there,
on the silent surface of the moon, 250,000 miles from home, he read a verse
from the Gospel of John, and he took communion.

Here is his own account of what happened: "In the radio blackout, I opened
the little plastic packages which contained the bread and the wine. I poured
the wine into the chalice our church had given me. In the one-sixth gravity
of the moon, the wine slowly curled and gracefully came up the side of the
cup. Then I read the scripture:

'I am the vine, you are the branches. Whosoever abides in me will bring
forth much fruit ... Apart from me you can do nothing.'

"I had intended to read my communion passage back to Earth, but at the last
minute [they] had requested that I not do this. NASA was already embroiled
in a legal battle with Madelyn Murray O'Hare, the celebrated opponent of
religion, over the Apollo 8 crew's reading from Genesis while orbiting the
moon at Christmas. I agreed reluctantly."

"I ate the tiny Host and swallowed the wine. I gave thanks for the
intelligence and spirit that had brought two young pilots to the Sea of
Tranquility. It was interesting for me to think that the very first liquid
ever poured on the moon and the very first food eaten there were the
communion elements."

"And, of course, it's interesting to think that some of the first words
spoken on the moon were the words of Jesus Christ, who made the Earth and
the moon - and who, in the immortal words of Dante, is Himself the "Love
that moves the Sun and other stars."

How many of you knew this? Too bad this type of news doesn't travel as fast
as the bad does.

Share with others you know . . . . . . .

The nicest place to be is in someone's thoughts, the safest place to be is
in someone's prayers, and the very best place to be is in the hands of God.
Amen.