[Faith-talk] The Sermon on the Mount

Linda Mentink mentink at frontiernet.net
Tue Sep 5 00:54:51 UTC 2017

Hi All,

Jesus warns, in His Sermon on the Mount, Matthew 6, about vain
repetition, right before He teaches His disciples how to pray.  I
believe that saying the Rosary is vain repetition, exactly what
Jesus says not to do! Even regularly saying the Lord's Prayer
could be considered vain repetition, because we just let it roll
off our tongues without thinking about it.

My dad asked me about saying it one time, and I told him that I
believe that Jesus meant it as a model, and expects us to
personalize it, not to just repeat it with no thought because we
memorized it.  I catch myself saying the same words when I thank
my Lord for the food before meals when I'm here eating alone, and
I know I need to be very careful! My prayer life isn't what it
ought to be, that's for sure!

Blessings,

Linda