[Faith-Talk] Ramadan Mubarak

Kaden Colton atmosaddict at gmail.com
Sun May 6 20:07:47 UTC 2018

Hello everyone,

I agree that reading scriptures and attending services are two facts of
faith.  I have attended other services within many different religions and
read their holy books.  I also try and talk with practitioners of many
faiths and ask them about their experiences with their religion and
spirituality.  By doing so, I gain further insight into what it is like.  I
tell people I interact with that when I ask questions, they are able to ask
questions to me as well.

Ericka, here are my responses to your questions.

   - How do you handle the fasting required?

      I Handle fasting by slowing down and ensuring I am not exerting
myself beyond capacity.  I also take short naps during lunch breaks and
short breaks during work so that I can maintain adequate levels of
alertness when I am performing tasks.  I also carry around water, and some
food just in case something happens.  If I am close to becoming dehydrated
before the sun sets, I do drink enough water to ensure nothing medically
will happen.
       During the daylight hours, I obtain from eating and drinking.  So
this means I either get up early and stay up late so that I can eat and
drink.  I also have a little basket of fruits at my place to break fast in
the evenings, when the sun has set.  In the mornings, I eat a meal that was
made the previous night.  The food I eat in the morning is typically packed
with a lot of proteins and other sustenance so I can make it through the
day.  The food I eat in the evening tends to be lighter, like fruit,
crackers and cheese.  I try to plan out in advance when I am going to eat
in the morning.  This is because the sun rises earlier and earlier when
Ramadan falls during this time of year.

   - How do you handle this for a month?

      I handle fasting for a moth by trying to take it easy.  I still pray
five times per day, and read the Quran.  On the weekends, I will do more
volunteer work during Ramadan.  but this is usually volunteering in the
late afternoon.  I also try and spend more time with other Muslims during
Ramadan.  It's just a little bit easier knowing that we are in this
together.    This does not preclude me from spending time with other
people, but sometimes it's just easier spending time with other people who
are fasting as well.  The further into the month I get, my concentration
gets a little worse.  I handle this by making To Do lists that will pop up
at certain times to remind me I have to do this or that.  I certainly
struggle with not eating and drinking during the day later in the month of
Ramadan.  i've learned to manage it.

I hope my responses clarify a little bit for you Ericka and anyone else who
is reading my responses.  If anything is unclear, please feel free to ask
for clarification.  If you have any more questions, feel free to ask me
those enquiries as well.

Salam,
Kaden