[Faith-Talk] getting involved in church

Linda Mentink mentink at frontiernet.net
Tue Sep 4 17:50:54 UTC 2018

Hi Ana,

Don't be afraid to politely educate those who give you rides, and
with those whom you interact while there.  You can show them that
you are a competent blind person who just needs a ride, and maybe
a little help here and there.  Offer them money for gas.  They're
probably overly helpful because you haven't told them you don't
need it, but appreciate their offer.  Engage them in
conversation, and let them ask questions.  Our Independence
Market has a sheet about how to treat us, and you might ask them
to send you some copies.  Just do what you can to help people to
be comfortable around you.  Talk to the pastor and other leaders,
either in person or by phone, and express your concerns.  And, as
Ericka suggested, maybe you can give a short presentation during
a Sunday School class or church service.  If you're interested in
being involved in a certain area of the church's ministry, let
that be known to the person in charge of that ministry, or the
pastor's wife.  Also, Tom Anderson is available to talk to anyone
in any church about these things.

Over the years, I have been involved in the music ministry,
missions committee, board of deaconesses, AWANA, been prayer
chain chairman, folded and stuffed the bulletins, and currently
teach music at our school.

I pray you'll be allowed to serve as well as worship there.

Blessings,

Linda ----- Original Message -----