[Faith-Talk] Christ in Truth

BRUCE&JOY BRESLAUER breslauerj at gmail.com
Sun Dec 22 18:43:03 UTC 2019

I think what He means is that when He became man and lived that sinless life,
the purpose of which was  to die on the cross and be resurrected, He was in
submission to the Father -- by choice, not by coercion or by being of an
inferior nature.  He did not speak on His own authority, but on that of His
Father.  not as master and slave, or employer and employee, but as Father and
Son, coequal with one another.  Whatever He did, He did as God, because he is
God, not something separate from god acting on his own authority.  So if he
is God, then He can't do something that God wouldn't do.

In these verses you mentioned, He is speaking to the religious authorities
who are challenging him about doing something good on the Sabbath day, when
the manmade restrictions they held to advised them not to do any work on the
Sabbath.  That is a mistaken idea about God who, having created everything in
six days, rested -- not because He was tired, but because He had ceased
creating.  He had seen what He had created and said that it was very good.
So instead of resting, He ceased from his labors, or He stopped.

Keep reading after the verses you mentioned to verse 45-47.  All through
these passages He is speaking about all the things that testify to who He is
-- God's words, the words of John the Baptist, the Scriptures themselves, the
writings of Moses, the Tabernacle and the offerings, and many more.  Be
careful when you take verses out of context.

I do not say what I have to say and then cut and run.  I really don't think
this is the place for this type of discussion, and I find myself contributing
to it anyway.  We are both seeking the truth in different places with
differing results.  Our points of view are so different from each other that
they cannot both be true.  It would be one thing if I were speaking from my
own opinion, but I am not.

I wish you well.