[Flagdu] Fw: [Nfbf-l] May I ask a question.

davidw dwermuth1 at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 30 10:26:37 UTC 2009

First of all Thanks for your opinion Charles.  and thanks for your service
to the blind community over your 17 year tenure.

OK, a few opinions you have that you have expressed that I have to
respectfully disagree with.

 First of all I have heard while working as a "insider" in the past is that
I have heard many times, "I have 15 years experience, 12 yrs, 17 yrs..."

All that means to most of the blind -low vision consumers is that most if
not all of the employees should have been fired years ago.  and while I have
worked as most of the job titles: VRT, ILS, Child and Family and sat on many
boards myselfFloridas Division of the Blind needs to clean house.  You say
you have worked in the field of BVI for 17 years we'll just a little hint,
we bvi people don't get our sight back after five and on weekends.  So I am
asking who has more experience?  I have 19 years of blind experience, 24
hours a day includeing holidays, weekends.

I'm glad that you made the effort to go thru immersion for 3 weeks under
blindfold.  Employees of the prior Texas Commission for the Blind go thru
immersion for thirty days as new employees.  and I am also encouraged that
you encouraged your new sighted employees to make a effort to work on
learning or at the very least trying to understand the everyday struggles of
living b-vi.  That makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I've like I said in previous post's observe and communicate with consumers
of the blind community and DBS before I make my comments.  and I'll say it
again  "DBS needs to change it's philosophy to better serve the BVI in
Florida."

There are ways to do this and number 1 is to start employing B-VI person's
into DBS, unless the philosophy from DBS is that sighted people can do it
better?  and if that is the opinion of DBS then the whole slate of employees
serving the B-VI should be cleaned or then what is the use of even giving
you all pay checks at the expense of our tax dollars.

On the topic of scholarships: are you kidding me?  Those student's worked
their rear ends off to earn them and I know what it takes as during my
educational learning from the University of Washington I earned a few
myself.    They are a mark of hard work and excellence giving to them for
all their hard work.   If they want to spend it on more equipment, food to
have enough energy to get to school the next day, clothes...  then so be it.
We as tax payers do not ask state employees to return the money it cost's to
feed a lunch to a agency during a training class, pay back the many
Holidays, accumidated sick leave, vacation, and all the other perks.

The problem with most state employee's is after a short time after tenure
they forget where the money is coming from  (tax payers)  and forget who
they are working for.  The more money they don't spend and yes I know about
the Federal payback ratio but they start thinking about how nice their
Christmas party can be and all along pat each other on the back saying,
"isn't it nice we are helping those blind-low vision people"

Thank You again for your long thought out opinions and it sounds like a
couple blanket statements other state rehabilitation offices send out that
comes directly from the top.  Hmm

Enough already,

David Wermuth
Brooksville, FL
dwermuth1 at earthlink.net

P.S  Everyone have a nice day, I know I will.