[Flagdu] FW: [nagdu] Blind Brockton woman says Seeing Eye dog not allowed intorestaurant

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Sun Jun 13 19:37:10 UTC 2010

Ralph,
    I would like to respectfully disagree with your assertions that
"interfering with normal business flow" is a legitimate legal reason to
refuse access to a disabled person accompanied by a service animal.
According to Florida statute 413.08 and the Americans with Disabilities Act,
the only legitimate, legal reasons to deny access to a service animal is if
the animal poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others that
cannot be mitigated by a reasonable modification of policies, practices, or
procedures or if the animal is out of control and the handler does not take
immediate action to correct the behavior.
    As for there being no jail time for those who violate our civil rights
under Florida law, this is partly true. Although violation of florida
statute is a second degree misdemeanor punishable by up to 60 days in jail
and/or a fine of up to $500, it is very unlikely that anyone convicted of a
second degree misdemeanor would face any jail time. This being said, Florida
courts have been very strict on those who have violated our rights under
this statute. The most recent case I know of resulted in the person being
sentenced to 45 hours of community service with the Lighthouse for the
Blind, being required to post "service Animals Welcome" signs, and being
required to place a 1/4 page ad in the St. Petersburg Times for 7
consecutive days advising the public of the law. This latter part of the
sentence probably cost the business owner about $2000!
    As for the practice of calling ahead to let a business know you will be
bringing a service animal, I am of the opinion that this is not a very good
idea for several reasons. The first and most important reason is that a
place of public accommodation cannot discriminate against someone
accompanied by a service animal so there is absolutely no good reason to
tell them in advance. It is my experience that doing so only causes more
problems than it might seem to prevent. When a business is notified in
advance, the staff seems to think that there is something special they need
to do to prepare for the service animal. This can result in such forms of
discrimination as separate or unequal benefits. It also gives rise to the
business saying they do not allow animals in their place of business. It is
better to deal with their ignorance when you get there, rather than try to
convince them on the phone. We have the legal right to be accompanied by our
service animals in any place the public is invited, so the fact that we will
be accompanied by our dogs is irrelevant. Would you advise a black person to
call ahead and let a business know that a black person will be coming to
their place of business? If the answer is "No!", then why notify them that
we will be accompanied by a guide dog? It is the black person's civil right
to enjoy the benefits of a public accommodation without being subjected to
discrimination just as it is our civil right to be accompanied by a service
animal without being subjected to discrimination. JMHO!

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala