[Flagdu] Guide dog killed

Jody W. Ianuzzi jody at thewhitehats.com
Tue May 15 13:27:20 UTC 2012

Does anyone know the details of this story and is FLAGDU involved?  JODY

Forwarding:

The following was posted on another list.  People say that they could only
access the video link.
There seems to be some confusion as to what happened & if the other dog was
responsible for the death.
Maria and Frisco

Some of you down Florida way may have caught this in the news, but I want to

quickly let everyone know that Mr. Bruce Cole's (Fidelco trained) Guide Dog,
Quincy, died last week after having been attacked by other dogs.  The
details were extremely convoluted at first, but I will just give you guys
links to
all of the information that is currently public.

All of the news links are on the FB page, but I've pulled out a couple for
anyone who doesn't use FB.
https://www.facebook.com/QuincyColeGuideDog

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/news/local/sun_coast/sarasota_service_dog_d
eath_reaction050512

http://video.heraldtribune.com/video/1632623319001

Mr. Cole is getting help that ranges from legal to media relations and all
sorts of things, but part of why I am writing to all of you is that I'm SURE
we're missing something.  Yes, I have spoken to Bruce and asked him directly

what he thinks he needs and wants - mostly he wants to to try to make sure
that no other Service Dog handler ever has to go through what he's going
through now.  He's, understandably, in shock. He's a proud man and was VERY
independent
with Quincy.  He's very suddenly at quite a loss and without much of a
support network, so we're open to thoughts and ideas of ALL sorts.  I'm sure

that
"when dogs attack" conversations have been had in the past, but perhaps it
is time for another round of brain storming on ways to try to avoid stories
like
Bruce and Quincy's.