[Flagdu] New FL service dog law

Sherrill O'Brien Sherrill.obrien at verizon.net
Wed Apr 2 13:35:26 UTC 2014

Hello Toni,

I realize you attended on behalf of the agency you work for, but we as
flagdu members are pleased you were there representing us as well. I checked
with Marion about a couple of my concerns, but he assured me the content of
the bill is not straying from the ADA and the FHA. The latter can be
confusing, as it is broader than the ADA. This bill includes emotional
support animals in the section dealing with housing. It seems this language
was spurred by the concerns for veterans with service or emotional support
dogs who deal with traumatic brain injury or PTSD.

This bill also includes criminal penalties for fraudulently asserting that a
pet is a service animal in order to gain access to a public place. The
charge is a second degree misdemeanor, the same as currently applicable  to
access denial by businesses. The punishment in this new law is spelled out
to be thirty hours of community service preferably at a facility which
serves those with disabilities.

I'll send the link where you can read the text of the bill.

Thanks again, Toni.

Sherrill