[Flagdu] approval needed for 2018 FLAGDU annual meeting minutes

Sherrill O'Brien sherrill.obrien at verizon.net
Tue May 21 21:39:27 UTC 2019

Greetings everyone,

This is a formality, but, as a spokesperson for the Board, we do need to
approve the 2018 annual FLAGDU meeting minutes.

Thanks in advance for reading them, and for considering their approval.

They will take you back to last year's great meeting in Tampa on that
blustery day!

The minutes are pasted below my signature.

I certainly hope to See many of you at our FLAGDU meeting on Saturday.

Warmly,

Sherrill

Sherrill O'Brien, Secretary

Florida Association of Guide Dog Users (FLAGDU)

Phone 813-935-0474, cell 813-767-1890

eMail sherrill.obrien at verizon.net

expectations because low expectations create barriers between blind people
and our dreams. You can live the life you want! Blindness is not what holds
you back

Florida Association of Guide Dog Users (FLAGDU)

Annual Meeting Minutes

Saturday, May 26, 2018,

3:00-5:00 PM

Hilton Tampa Airport Westshore

The annual FLAGDU seminar and business meeting was called to order by
President Sherrill O'Brien at 3:05PM. Board members in attendance introduced
themselves. Board Member Tracie Inman and Secretary Sherri Brun were absent.
Audience members then introduced themselves.  Sherrill said we need to give
a special welcome and recognition to two guide dog users in the room, Amanda
Lannan and Michelle Yongue who are two of this year's state scholarship
winners.

50/50 tickets were sold during this time. The drawing will take place during
the banquet. Door prizes were drawn throughout the course of the meeting.

The 2017 annual meeting minutes were approved as emailed.

Treasurer Tom Bellone gave the treasurer's report, which was approved.

Prior to the elections, Sherrill announced that she did not intend to run
for another term as President. She said after ten years it was time to step
down, and that it had been an honor to serve.

Elections were held for the following officers and Board members

President, Secretary and two Board members.

Sherrill said that Board Member Tracie Inman and Secretary Sherri Brun did
not wish to run for another term. Sherrill thanked them for their service to
FLAGDU.

The results of the elections are as follows:

Merry Schoch, President

Sherrill O'Brien, Secretary

Barbara Gaw, Board Member

Michelle Yongue, Board Member

Because Merry is no longer the Vice President, elections were then held to
finish out the remaining one year of her term.

Marion Gwizdala was elected as the vice president

We were to have speakers from three guide dog programs at our meeting, but
Suzy Wilburne from Southeastern Guide Dogs was unable to  attend due to the
storm threat. The other two speakers were longtime trainer John Byfield of
Freedom Guide Dogs, and graduate David Baker of Guide Dog Foundation.

Sherrill introduced our keynote speaker Marcus Martin, whose topic was
Staying Safe in the Storm. He is with Emergency Preparedness and Recovery,
Hillsborough County office of Emergency management.

Sherrill told the audience that FLAGDU should be proud of the resolution
which was submitted by Resolutions Committee Chair Merry Schoch on behalf of
FLAGDU. It will be brought to the floor for a vote of the NfBF membership on
Monday morning. The resolution is titled

Resolution Regarding Enforcement of Florida Statute 413.08 Concerning Rights
of an Individual with a Disability; Use of a Service Animal.

Marion further informed us that This is part of an ongoing effort to
convince state attorneys offices around the state to take Florida's access
law seriously and prosecute violators when complaints are filed instead of
ignoring the complaints.

Merry, who is Florida's liason for  NFB's Uber and Lyft rideshare Testing
Program, gave an update. She encouraged everyone to keep filling out the
online form, whether their ride share experience with their guide dog is
negative or positive.

Marion, who is also the President of the National Association of Guide Dog
Users (NAGDU), talked about the work NAGDU is doing on behalf of those who
are flying with service animals. He spoke about the recent restrictive
requirements several airlines are attempting to place on them, which can
violate either the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or the Air Carrier
Access Act (ACAA).

The meeting was adjourned at 5:15PM.

Respectfully submitted]

Sherrill O'Brien, Acting Secretary