[Fopbc] Fwd: National Federation of the Blind Endorses Google Books Settle...

FOPBC at aol.com FOPBC at aol.com
Fri Sep 11 02:57:28 UTC 2009

____________________________________

-----Original Message-----
From: Freeh,Jessica  <JFreeh at nfb.org>
To: david.andrews at nfbnet.org
Sent: Thu, Sep 10,  2009 7:07 pm
Subject: [blindkid] National Federation of the Blind Endorses  Google Books
Settlement Before Congress

FOR IMMEDIATE  RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris  Danielsen

Director of Public  Relations

National Federation of the  Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension  2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

_cdanielsen at nfb.org_ (mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org)

National  Federation of the Blind
Endorses Google Books Settlement Before  Congress

Urges Justice Department to Support  Settlement

Washington, DC (September 10, 2009):  The National Federation of the Blind,
the nation's oldest and largest  organization of blind people and the
leading advocate for access by the blind  to digital information, testified
before the House Judiciary Committee today  that the proposed settlement between
Google and authors and publishers  regarding the Google Books project should
be approved. The Google Books  settlement will make millions of titles
available to the blind and other  Americans with print disabilities, providing
more access to the printed word  than the blind have had in all of human
history.

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the  National Federation of the Blind, told
the House Judiciary Committee: "The  Google settlement is, for the blind and
many others, the next step in the  democratization of knowledge. That
process began with the introduction of the  printing press and then, for the
blind, with the invention of Braille. Now  technology is available that
transcends the traditional limitations of both  print and Braille, promising to make
millions of titles available to the blind  in Braille or any other format of
our choice. The narrow business interests of  Google's competitors must not
be allowed to block Americans who cannot read  print from all of the
opportunities that greater access to written knowledge  will make available to
them. It is time for the doors of the world's great  libraries to be opened and
welcome to  everyone."

The National Federation of the Blind  also urged the United States
Department of Justice, which is reviewing the  terms of the settlement, to support
the  agreement.

"The Google Books settlement is a  major step forward in advancing the
civil rights of blind Americans and others  who cannot read print because it
substantially increases our opportunities for  education and employment,"
President Maurer said. "The Justice Department,  which is tasked with protecting
the civil rights of all Americans, should  respect the agreement of the
parties to the settlement and allow its access  provisions to be fully
implemented. In doing so, the government will send a  strong message that it values
the participation of the blind in society and  believes that we should have
access to all of the information to which our  sighted friends and colleagues
have  access."

###
blindkid:
_http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/blindkid_nfbnet.org/bluegolfshoes%40a