[Fopbc] Fwd: Presidential Proclamation for White Cane Safety Day

FOPBC at aol.com FOPBC at aol.com
Fri Oct 16 14:43:28 UTC 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: Danielsen,  Chris <CDanielsen at nfb.org>
To: david.andrews at nfbnet.org
Sent: Thu,  Oct 15, 2009 10:43 pm
Subject: [Nfbf-l] Presidential Proclamation for White  Cane Safety Day

Dear Fellow  Federationists:

Below is the text of this year’s White Cane  Safety Day proclamation issued
by President Obama. As you will read, the  proclamation highlights the
importance of Braille literacy. It is clear that  our advocacy on this issue is
having an impact on policy makers at the highest  levels of our government.
We continue to accomplish great things for blind  Americans. Happy White
Cane Safety  Day!

Sincerely:

Chris  Danielsen etc.

White Cane Safety Day,  2009

By the President of the United States of  America

A  Proclamation

All Americans deserve the  freedom to participate in every aspect of our
society and pursue their full  measure of happiness. For blind Americans, the
white cane is a potent symbol  of that freedom­affording them greater
independence and mobility. Today,  we renew our commitment to provide full
inclusion and equal opportunities for  those among us who are blind or have low
vision. As Americans, we must nurture  a society that values the unique
abilities and individual contributions of all  its people.

Individuals who are blind or have low  vision are less constrained and
better integrated in our country than ever  before, but much work remains to
ensure they have the opportunity to reach  their full potential. My
Administration is committed to securing full and  equal access to education and
employment for blind Americans and all those  with disabilities. The American
Recovery and Reinvestment Act substantially  increased funding for the
Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, as well  as vocational rehabilitation
services, including job training, education, and  placement.

For Americans who are blind or have  low vision, a white cane is just one
of a wide range of tools that sustain  independence and productivity. In
recent years, refreshable Braille displays  and speech synthesis devices have
given these individuals access to the  Internet, unlocking a new frontier of
limitless possibility. As we encourage  the development of new assistive
technologies, we must also improve access to  existing tools. The Braille code
has opened a doorway to literacy for  countless individuals, but far too many
blind children in our country are not  learning to read it. By improving
Braille literacy, we will secure a brighter  future for these young Americans.

In the 45 years  since White Cane Safety Day was first proclaimed by
President Lyndon Johnson,  Americans who are blind or have low vision have
achieved substantial progress.  As leaders in government and business, academics,
and the arts, they have made  remarkable contributions to our Nation, proving
that sight is no requisite for  success. We will continue to strive for a
more just and equitable Nation that  celebrates diversity in all its forms
and promotes the full inclusion of all  individuals in our communities.

By joint  resolution approved on October 6, 1964, (Public Law 88-628, as
amended), the  Congress designated October 15 of each year as White Cane
Safety Day to  recognize the contributions of Americans who are blind or have low
 vision.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the  United States of
America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the  Constitution and laws of
the United States, do hereby proclaim October 15,  2009, as White Cane Safety
Day. I call upon all Americans to observe this day  with appropriate
ceremonies, activities, and  programs.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set  my hand this fifteenth day of
October, in the year of our Lord two thousand  nine, and of the Independence of
the United States of America the two hundred  and  thirty-fourth.

Nfbf-l:
_http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nfbf-l_nfbnet.org/bluegolfshoes%40aol
.com_
(http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nfbf-l_nfbnet.org/bluegolfshoes@aol.com)