[Fopbc] Fwd: proclamation--White Cane Safety Day

Lenora Marten fopbc at aol.com
Thu Oct 21 10:54:34 UTC 2010

THE WHITE HOUSE
Office of the Press Secretary
For Immediate Release
October 15, 2010
White Cane Safety Day, 2010
- - - - - - -
By the President of the United States of America
A Proclamation
     The white cane, in addition to being a practical mobility tool, serves as a
ymbol of dignity, freedom, and independence for individuals who are blind or
isually impaired.  On White Cane Safety Day, our Nation celebrates the
mmeasurable contributions the Americans who use canes have made as valued
embers of our diverse country.  We also examine our progress and recommit to
ull integration, equality, education, and opportunity for Americans with visual
mpairments.
     Today, students with disabilities are reaching achievements considered
nattainable just a few decades ago.  Many gains have been realized throughout
ur educational system, but we must accomplish more so that America's
echnological advances and assistive tools are available for the benefit of all
tudents.  My Administration is committed to ensuring that electronic readers
nd other electronic equipment used by schools, including postsecondary
nstitutions, are accessible to individuals who are blind or visually impaired.
e are also providing guidance and technical assistance to help colleges and
niversities fully comply with the legal requirements to use emerging technology
hat is accessible to all students in the classroom.  Blindness and visual
mpairments are not impediments to obtaining knowledge, and we must highlight
he availability of existing tools to facilitate communication and work to
mprove access to them.  Additionally, the Braille code opens doors of literacy
nd learning to countless individuals with visual impairments across our country
nd around the world, and we must work with advocates and leaders throughout our
ociety to promote and improve Braille literacy among our students.
     Americans with disabilities are Americans first and foremost, entitled to
oth full participation in our society and full opportunity in our economy.  My
dministration is working to increase information access so Americans who are
lind or visually impaired can fully participate in our increasingly
nterconnected world.  To expand career options for people with disabilities in
he Federal Government, I signed an Executive Order directing executive
epartments and agencies to design strategies to increase recruitment and hiring
f these valued public servants.  I was also pleased to sign the Twenty-First
entury Communications and Video Accessibility Act into law earlier this month
o ensure that the jobs of the future are accessible to all.  This legislation
ill make it easier for people who are deaf, blind, or live with a visual
mpairment to use the technology our 21st-century economy depends on, from
avigating digital menus on a television to sending emails on a smart phone.
     As we observe the 20th anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act
his year, my Administration reaffirms our national commitment to creating
ccess to employment, education, and social, political, and economic
pportunities for Americans with disabilities.  Together with individuals who
re blind or visually impaired, service providers, educators, and employers, we
ill uphold our country as an inclusive, welcoming place for blind or visually
mpaired people to work, learn, play, and live.
     By joint resolution approved on October 6, 1964 (Public Law 88-628, as
mended), the Congress designated October 15 of each year as White Cane Safety
ay to recognize the contributions of Americans who are blind or have low
ision.
     NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America,
o hereby proclaim October 15, 2010, as White Cane Safety Day.  I call upon all
ublic officials, business and community leaders, educators, librarians, and
mericans to observe this day with appropriate ceremonies, activities, and
rograms.
     IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this fifteenth day of
ctober, in the year of our Lord two thousand ten, and of the Independence of
he United States of America the two hundred and thirty-fifth.
                                BARACK OBAMA
                                # # #

The White House · 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW · Washington DC 20500 ·
02-456-1111

-
ri Ne'eman
resident
he Autistic Self Advocacy Network
ttp://www.autisticadvocacy.org
nfo at autisticadvocacy.org
202) 596-1056
ake a look at our innovative new Public Service Announcement produced with the
an Marino Foundation at http://www.nomyths.org
If you like what we do, help support the Autistic Self Advocacy Network by
aking a donation at: https://www.change.org/donation/create?charity_id=211198

_._,_.___
eply to sender | Reply to group | Reply via web post | Start a New Topic
essages in this topic (1)
ecent Activity:
isit Your Group
Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest . Unsubscribe . Terms of Use.

_,_._,___
o unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for Nfbf-l:
ttp://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nfbf-l_nfbnet.org/minichiellog%40comcast.net