[Fopbc] Student Intro Letter FABS

Lenora Marten fopbc at aol.com
Wed Sep 14 11:06:40 UTC 2011

August 21, 2011

Dear Student,
            I would like to introduce you to a group of your peersthat you probably did not know existed out in the blind community, but may giveyou an outlet to change what it means to be a blind student. The FloridaAssociation of Blind Students (FABS) is a division of the National Federationof the Blind of Florida (NFBF), and we are the voice of the student populationamongst the blind community. Our goal is to change what it means to be a blindstudent by networking, support, fundraising, and legislation. Any student iswelcome to join FABS.
            FABS meets the first Sunday of each month via conferencecall, as well as periodically throughout the month via emails, phone calls, andconventions. We often discuss upcoming events, fundraising, legislation for thestate and country dealing with the visually impaired, and act as a network offriends to support each other as we go through school. We also try to haveinformation for each other on other subjects such as scholarships, financial aid,technology, and adaptive equipment. There are many times when you may not knowhow to handle a situation in school or how to accomplish a difficultassignment, but by joining FABS you have an entire group of other visuallyimpaired students that can make suggestions or help you through your difficulttime.
            If you are interested in joining or would like some moreinformation, please contact one of the following individuals and they would bemore than happy to assist you:
            Nallym Bravo at nbrav003 at fiu.edu
            Zunaira Wasif at zwasif at fau.edu
            Lauren Stichler at lstichler at gmail.com
            We look forward to hearing from you in the future.
                        Thank you,
FABS officers and board