[Gopbc] National Braille Readers are Leaders Contest

gaikens at nfbga.org gaikens at nfbga.org
Fri Jan 5 01:24:32 UTC 2018

Hi all,

We are a little behind but it is not too late to register your students for the Braille Readers are Leaders Contest being held nationwide. Please read below for links and information.

Best,

Greg Aikens, President

 <http://www.nfbga.org/> National Federation of the Blind of Georgia

Email:  <mailto:gaikens at nfbga.org> gaikens at nfbga.org

Cell: (404) 444-8661

Hello, parents, teachers, certifying officials, and any others involved  in the 2017-18 Nationwide Braille Readers Are Leaders Contest For Kids.

I hope you had a happy holiday season, and I hope your child/student had a productive year-end break reading Braille for the Nationwide contest.

Note we now have 16 states in the contest: California, Montana, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Missouri, Minnesota, Louisiana, Illinois, Indiana, Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Virginia, Delaware, and Georgia. Children in a grade level will compete with children in that same grade level from all 16 states.

A  remeinder that the contest will close on February 1, approximately four weeks from now. The certifying official will then need to record all the pages read by their child/student on a Reading Log and submit it.

*        Fill out the Reading Log for pages read from December 15 to February 1.

*        Submit the Reading Log as directed on the form by February 10. The easiest way is to submit it as an attachment to an email to Deborah Stein at dkent5817 at att.net <mailto:dkent5817 at att.net> . Please put Nationwide BRAL in the subject line.

Note: It’s not too late to register a child! You have untill February 1 to do that. Find the registration form, along with the reading log form and other contest information, at the website: http://www.nfbofillinois.org/nationwide-bral-contest.

Also note any child that registers after the opening date of December 15 can count pages read from that date if the certifying official can verify the pages. In addition any child in a state that has joined the contest after December 15 can retroactively count pages read from that date if the certifying official will verify the reading.

One last thing. If your child/student has other handicaps besides impaired vision such as mental, physical, language, etc. that have made his or her efforts to compete in the contest even more challenging, consider entering them for the Kelly Doty Award. This is a special prize of $25 given to one contestant in this category. This prize is awarded independently of how many pages the contestant read. See the bottom of the registration form for a complete description of the award. There is no problem if you want to modify a previously submitted registration form for your student/child you want to be considered for this recognition.

If you have questions, contact the contest administrator:

Deborah Stein

Email: dkent5817 at att.net <mailto:dkent5817 at att.net> . Please put Nationwide BRAL in the subject line.

phone number: 773-203-1394