[Greater-baltimore] DORS Focus Group to Be Held at NFB of Maryland State Convention

Frye, Dan DFrye at nfb.org
Mon Nov 2 17:40:50 UTC 2009

List Colleagues:

As part of my work on the Maryland State Rehabilitation Council, I am a member of a committee charged with pulling together the triennial statewide needs assessment, a document that identifies priorities and strategies for serving consumers of rehabilitation and which gets forwarded, as part of our state plan, to the federal Rehabilitation Services Administration for its review. Specifically, I'm working with OBVS personnel to target the needs of our community for this report. IN an effort to get direct feedback on what services would be useful to list in this written compilation of needs, DORS has asked the affiliate to let it sponsor an informal focus group at state convention this year. I'll be there along with other OBVS staff to receive community feedback. To help you prepare, DORS staff has asked that I circulate the following document so that people can begin thinking about the kind of information that is needed for this report. Fortunately, the questions are broad enough that they will lend themselves to virtually anything we want to discuss as a community. I have no expectation that people will be limited to the three minute timeframe that is referenced in this document; instead I envision that we'll hold a free-flowing dialogue, governed in terms of format more by numbers attending and the variety of ideas to be shared. Since I'll be present, be sure that I will advocate for adequate time to be made for thoroughly explaining any positions that individuals, or our organization as an entity, may wish to convey. I hope that many will be able to attend the focus group on Friday afternoon from 1:00-2:30 p.m. in the Pennsylvania Room. Here is the document, both pasted below in this message and attached as a Word document, for your attention:

Statewide Needs Assessment Focus Group

Carousel Hotel

November 13, 2009

1:00 - 2:30 pm (Pennsylvania Room)

DORS Triennial Statewide Needs Assessment

Purpose:

ü      Help DORS identify the unmet rehabilitation and employment needs of individuals with blindness or low-vision

ü      Help Maryland plan for meeting the rehabilitation and employment needs of unserved and underserved populations

Below are questions to be posed to the group with each person being granted three minutes to voice their concerns and/or suggestions.

1.         What are the unmet rehabilitation and employment needs of individuals who are blind or visually impaired?

2.	What can be done to meet the unmet needs of individuals who are blind or visually impaired?

3.	More specifically, what are the unmet rehabilitation and employment needs of blind or visually impaired individuals who are considered unserved or underserved?  Unserved and underserved populations = racial and ethnic minorities; rural and urban populations; and other disability and economic sub-groups.

4.	What suggestions do you have to meet those unmet needs?

***********************
Daniel B. Frye, J.D.
Associate Editor
The Braille Monitor
National Federation of the Blind
Office of the President
200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place
Baltimore, Maryland 21230
Telephone: (410) 659-9314 Ext. 2208
Mobile: (410) 241-7006
Fax: (410) 685-5653
Email: DFrye at nfb.org
Web Address: www.nfb.org <http://www.nfb.org/>
"Voice of the Nation's Blind"
The Braille literacy crisis in America jeopardizes opportunities for blind people throughout the country.
You can be part of the solution. <https://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&identifier=4000>