[Greater-baltimore] My Reaction to the Appointment of a New DORS Director

Frye, Dan DFrye at nfb.org
Tue May 25 20:53:02 UTC 2010

Colleagues:

Below, please find the candid reaction I have shared with my colleagues
on the Maryland State Rehabilitation Council to the news that Sue Page
has been appointed to replace Bob Burns as DORS director. You will then
see Bob's minor criticism of my reaction. I think his technical
citations fail to grasp the consumer-friendly spirit that I'm
endeavoring to promote on the Council and from DORS management. If I am
able to get Bob to be disappointed in my comments, I must be saying
something interesting enough to capture his attention and evoke some
thought. His pedantic reply really isn't persuasive much to me, since
Nancy Grasmick could have involved the consumer-driven Council to any
extent that she thought it would help the Division and Education
Department in general move ahead. Our Council's statutory obligation in
Federal law is general enough that any thoughtful leader could certainly
justify our involvement, if he or she chose to do so. I thought you
should be aware of my internal advocacy in this respect. Here is the
exchange:

Colleagues:

While I am happy for Sue, and I trust that she will be equal to this
important responsibility, I feel compelled to register my concern that
no significant consultation with the Maryland State Rehabilitation
Council was taken during this selection process. I am aware that Kali
Mallik, our Council chairman, sent a letter signaling our desire to be
an integral part of this important selection at the request of several
of our members during our May 5, 2010, meeting, and I am disappointed to
observe that no further communication--to the best of my knowledge--was
had with members of our Council about this determination. If Dr.
Grasmick communicated with Chairman Mallik, I am unaware of it, and she
should be subject to our collective displeasure for so blithely
disregarding the statutory role and responsibility that the Maryland
State Rehabilitation Council has as a partner in the administration of
DORS. This unilateral and anti-consumer-friendly  objection not
withstanding, I join in wishing Sue well, and I pledge to work with her
to achieve positive outcomes for disabled recipients of vocational
rehabilitation services in Maryland. I am not absolutely clear, based on
the data received during our May meeting, if this is a permanent or
interim appointment, and this clarification may help either temper or
affirm my registered objection. Since it is my understanding that Sue's
primary involvement in DORS has involved the management of the DDS
unit--an important quality control segment for Social Security
recipients--I observe that it will be more important than ever that our
Council and the remaining DORS executive team bring our combined
experience to help Sue master the subtleties associated with the
vocational rehabilitation program in general.

Here is Bob's reply:

Dan:

I must say that I am disappointed at this reaction to Ms. Page's
appointment by the State Board of Education.  First, the Board has the
statutory responsibility to appoint all personnel within the Department;
it is a function that they take very seriously and one that they
exercise with appropriate due diligence.  Clearly, they fulfilled that
role in the appointment of Ms. Page.

Second, Dr. Grasmick was indeed very interested in the perspective of
the Council, discussed the council's letter with me personally and I
know that Kali and the Superintendent were working to connect via the
telephone on this matter.

Third, the State Rehabilitation Council has no specified role in
personnel matters as delineated in the Rehabilitation Act, federal
regulations or the Governor's executive order that establishes the MD
SRC.  To do so in fact would put it  in conflict with Education Article
2-104.

Notwithstanding your concern that the Council was not permitted
significant consultation on this personnel matter, I know that you are
indeed sincere in your pledge to work with Ms. Page in support of our
mission.  I have known Sue for many years; you will find her to be
intelligent and dedicated; someone who welcomes, listens and respects
various perspectives; an excellent leader.

In closing, permit me to say that I have truly appreciated and
benefitted from your wisdom, perspective and thoughtful analysis over
the past few years.  Thank you for providing that guidance to me during
my tenure with DORS.   I know that the Council and the Division will
continue to prosper in the years to come due to the shared leadership
that has made us strong.

Best wishes, your friend and colleague,

Bob

Robert A. Burns