[Greater-baltimore] Food for Thought

spclarke rainbows719 at aol.com
Fri Oct 28 23:59:11 UTC 2011

I wish people in general could be more open minded.  It should not matter whether the woman with binoculars was visually impaired or not.  She had an absolute right to use the binoculars for whatever purpose she was using them for.  The point is that no one should be singling anyone out for any reason.  My Multicultural Counseling professor said a few years ago that if you laugh at a racially charged joke, you are just as bad as the person telling the joke.  The person telling the joke would say they mean no harm by the joke, they just think that it is funny.  If a person tells a joke about a certain religion, they are not thinking about that they may be offending someone nearby who is a member of that religion.  They are just thinking that they are being funny.  There isn't a person on this planet who should use another person for the purpose of laughs.  I think there is a reason why Jay Leno only pokes fun at celebrities, politicians, and anonymous people in videos.  It's not personal.  When you single one person out and make fun of something they are doing or something about them personally, that is personal.  It doesn't matter if the purpose is for comedy.  The potential is there to hurt the person.  I probably have alot more experience with students at school being singled out at school for the smallest things...how they wear their hair, how they wear their clothes, how they talk, how they laugh, how they eat their food, how they open their locker, how they walk,...the list could go on and on.

What would it take for you to stand up against something that was wrong?  I believe it is wrong to pick on someone for doing something they have a right to do, sighted, visually impaired, or blind.

These will be my final words about this subject.  Take Care...Care About Others

Sue-Ellen Clarke