[Greater-baltimore] Still in need of Volunteers!

Riccobono, Mark MRiccobono at nfb.org
Thu Jul 18 21:37:38 UTC 2013

Fellow Federationists!

We could still use your help with NFB STEM-X. Consider whether you or someone you know can help.

-------------

Dear Colleagues,

I am in need of your assistance. In Two weeks we have our annual summer program for blind youth in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM)-see description below. We are hosting our program at Towson University. Part of the program is to encourage the independence of the students as they learn to navigate a university campus for the first time. We are in need of a number of volunteers to serve as "talking signs" and help out our team on campus. We have several shifts available for folks to choose from and we still need a number of people to fill out each shift. We will need six people for each shift, so we'll either need a whole lot of folks or some dedicated folks who will work several shifts. We highly prefer that people sign up to work an entire shift or multiple shifts. The shifts are outlined below. If you or someone you know can help out PLEASE reach out to the contact below.

Monday: July 29: 11a-4p, 4p-10p,

Tuesday, July 30: 6a-10a, 10a-3p, 3p-8p, 8p-10:30p

Wednesday: July 31: 6a-10a, 10a-3p, 3p-8p, 8p-10:30p

Thursday, August 1: 6a-10a, 10a-3p, 3p-8p, 8p-10:30p

Friday, August 2: 6a-10a, 10a-3p, 3p-10p

Saturday, August 3: 6a-10a, 10a-2p

The qualities we're looking for in volunteers who serve in this capacity are:

*              A big voice that you aren't afraid to use

*              Willing to walk/stand for the vast majority of the shift

*              Willing to be outside in the July heat for the vast majority of the shift

We will also be reaching out to other local groups to recruit volunteers to help with this work. People who are interested in volunteering in this capacity should contact my colleague Jennifer Dunnam (copied here) at jdunnam at nfb.org<mailto:jdunnam at nfb.org> or 612-767-5658. Questions about volunteering in this capacity can also be directed to Jennifer. Feel free to forward this as appropriate.

About the program:

The National Federation of the Blind is pleased to announce the newest program in our National Center for Blind Youth in Science initiative-NFB STEM-X. This inquiry-based science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) program will provide students with learning opportunities in STEM disciplines ranging from engineering and robotics to the science of cooking. The program, to be held in the Baltimore metropolitan area on the campus of Towson University from July 29 to August 3, will serve fifty blind high school students from around the country. To learn more about the program visit www.blindscience.org/STEMX<http://www.blindscience.org/STEMX> or follow @NFBScience and the hashtag #NFBSTEMX on twitter.

If you have questions or need clarification from me, please let me know. Thank you so much for considering this important request.

Mark A. Riccobono, M.S.ed
Executive Director, Jernigan Institute
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND
200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place
Baltimore, Maryland 21230
Phone: (410) 659-9314 ext. 2357
Fax: (410) 659-5129
Email: mriccobono at nfb.org<mailto:mriccobono at nfb.org>
Twitter: @Riccobono
Web: www.nfb.org<http://www.nfb.org/>

Vehicle Donations Take the Blind Further
Donate your car to the National Federation of the Blind today!
For more information, please visit: http://www.carshelpingtheblind.org<http://www.carshelpingtheblind.org/> or call 1-855-659-9314