[Greater-baltimore] Research study

Danielsen, Chris CDanielsen at nfb.org
Thu Jul 24 14:31:43 UTC 2014

Dear Fellow Federationists:

The below announcement has been made before on this list and at the May chapter meeting, but Johns Hopkins is still looking for participants, so if you have not done so already, please consider participating. Note that you will be compensated!

Chris

The Neuroplasticity and Development Lab in the Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences at Johns Hopkins University is seeking participants for a psychology research study. The purpose of this study is to investigate how lifetime experience shapes the human brain. We are particularly interested in how the brain adapts to the absence of vision. We use MRI to compare the brains of individuals with different life histories: adults who grew up with vision, those who were born blind and those who became blind later in life.

Participating in this research study involves having an MRI scan. During the scan participants listen to sentences and sounds, and answer simple questions about what they hear. The study typically lasts 3 hours and participants are compensated $30 per hour for their time. Transportation expenses for participants coming from the Baltimore/Washington D.C. area are also covered.

To qualify for this study you must be a healthy, totally blind adult between the ages of 18 and 75 with no metal or electronic devices in or on your body. Prior to taking part in the study we would ask you to complete a pre-screening interview over the phone to ensure that you qualify.

The screening interview takes between 15 and 30 minutes, and those who take part in the interview are compensated $15 in the form of an Amazon gift card.

To learn more, please contact the lab either by calling (410) 870-9895<tel:%28410%29%20870-9895> or emailing plasticity_lab at jhu.edu<mailto:plasticity_lab at jhu.edu>.

Thank you for taking the time to read this announcement.

Christopher S. Danielsen, J.D.
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
200 East Wells Street