[Greater-baltimore] Minute Messages, Test from Andrews

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Sat May 3 14:40:23 UTC 2014

Minute Messages from the Movement

Melissa Riccobono, President

<mailto:President at nfbmd.org>President at nfbmd.org

Phone number 410-235-3073

www.nfbmd.org

Follow us on Twitter @NFBMD

Like us on Facebook

Note from the President

If the email Gods will cooperate, I will once
again be able to bring you Minute Messages From
the Movement on a regular basis! So sorry for
such a long delay; I still have not figured out
exactly why the last message I wrote did not go
through, but I am going to get back on the horse
and see if this one will work. Let’s hope for the best!

Messages

·         Highlights from the NFBMD Board
Meeting: The Central MD chapter did a fantastic
job hosting the NFBMD board and other affiliate
members on April fifth. This was a wonderful
board meeting; we were able to get a lot
accomplished. Here are some highlights.
·         Sharon Maneki made the following
announcements at our board meeting: We were very
successful in the Maryland General Assembly this
year. We achieved our three objectives. As you
will remember, our first objective was to keep
the $250,000 in the Governor’s budget for the
Center of Excellence in Nonvisual Access to
Commerce, Public Information and Education
(CENA). The General Assembly passed HB396/SB446,
bills that instruct the Maryland Department of
Disabilities in partnership with the National
Federation of the Blind to conduct a study on how
Maryland colleges teach accessibility concepts in
their various computer science and information
systems curricula. The MD General Assembly also
passed HB1242/SB419, bills that will provide
consistent funding for LBPH. These bills will be
signed by the governor on either May 5 or May 15.
We will let you know which day as soon as we
know. Many thanks to all who wrote letters, sent
emails, attended hearings, made phone calls, and
came to Annapolis to visit with Delegates and
Senators. We were successful because of each of
you and our high level of participation.
Congratulations to NFBMD on three important
victories that will have long term benefits for blind citizens in Maryland!
·         Sharon also reported on our progress
with our agenda from Washington Seminar:
Congressman Van Hollen is now a cosponsor on
HR831, the Fair Wages for Workers with
Disabilities Act, and on HR 3505, the Technology,
Education, and Accessibility in College and
Higher Education Act. This came about as a result
of our visit with him during the seminar.
Congressman Cummings is now a cosponsor of HR164,
the Equal Access to Air Travel for
Service-Disabled Veterans Act. He is also a
cosponsor for HR831. Congresswoman Donna Edwards
became a cosponsor of HR831 after members of the
National Harbor chapter attended a coffee
discussion with her in February. Let’s keep the
momentum going! Watch your email for details on
Twitter Tuesday, Call Wednesday, and Email
Thursday, which will occur next week. These days
have been set aside for us to concentrate on HR
831, so let’s try to convince our representatives
not all ready signed on to this important legislation to join us!
·         Melissa Lomax shared the following
announcement at our board meeting: Share your
story and change a life!  NFBMD is currently
seeking story submissions from blind individuals
who wish to share successes, obstacles they have
overcome, or efforts that they have made to
improve their attitude towards blindness.  If you
would like to share your experiences, please
write your story in a Word document and submit it
to Melissa Lomax at
<mailto:melissalomax1 at gmail.com>melissalomax1 at gmail.com.
If you have a story but are not quite sure how to
put it together, call Melissa at
·         The board decided the NFBMD will once
again have a table in the exhibit hall at
National Convention. Along with our Instant
Lottery tickets­a staple at our table for many
years­we are planning to sell Braille versions of
card games not readily available in Braille. We
are all excited about this new fund raising
project. Thanks to Melissa Lomax, who came up
with the idea and is heading up the committee in
order to purchase and Braille games. Please
contact Melissa at melissalomax1 at gmail.com if you
would like to help with this project. Also, we
will need workers at our table! Darlene Barrett
is in charge of scheduling table workers, exhibit
set up, etc. If you are attending convention and
want to help in the exhibit hall, please contact
Darlene at 410-997-9664. Working in the exhibit
hall is a fun way to meet people from all around
the country, and is a major way you can help the
NFBMD raise funds for our affiliate. (Much more
was discussed at our board meeting; please
consider attending our next meeting so you can be in on the dialogue.)
·         Speaking of National Convention
 Have
you made your reservations yet? Have you
registered? National Convention is truly a one of
a kind experience you don’t want to miss. Please
consider joining members of your Federation
family in Orlando this year. For convention
information, visit <https://nfb.org/convention>https://nfb.org/convention
·         NFB BELL is ringing in Maryland! The
NFB BELL Program will once again take place in
Baltimore and Glendale, Maryland. This two week
summer program, which will run this year from
July 28-August 8, is for blind and visually
impaired elementary school children (ages 4-12)
who are just learning Braille, have had no
exposure to Braille, or need to work on reading
speed and fluency. Children participate in fun
and engaging Braille lessons, meet and interact
with positive blind adults, go on field trips,
complete craft and cooking projects, make new
friends, and acquire literacy skills. On the last
day of the program, August 8, all BELL
participants will come together for a fun
activity in Baltimore. Parents of BELL
participants will also come together in Baltimore
for an informative seminar. To apply for the
program visit <http://www.nfb.org/bell>http://www.nfb.org/bell
·         It’s a Crab Feast! Join the NFBMD
National Harbor Chapter, and the NFBDC
affiliate,  and enjoy a wonderful pastime.
·         When: Saturday, June 14, 1-5 PM.
·         Where: Bladensburg Waterfront Park
Pavilion; 4601 Annapolis Road; Bladensburg, MD 20710.
·         Food Includes: Crabs, fried and
Bar-B-Cued chicken, baked beans, potato salad,
fresh salad,  corn, hot dogs, soda, water, and watermelon.
·         Cost: Adults: $55, children under 12, $25.
·         For tickets or questions, contact
Michelle Clark at 301 583-8585 or email at
<mailto:mcikeyc at aol.com>mcikeyc at aol.com
·         The National Harbor Chapter has
generously agreed to give a portion of the
proceeds from this event to the Maryland NFB BELL Programs!
·         Join Team NFBMD and Become an
Imaginator!: (My Aunt Mary has donated to our
cause. Why? Because it is a worthy cause, of
course, but mostly because I asked.) Uncle Whozit
is still counting on you! The National Federation
of the Blind has a goal to raise $300000 for the
Imagination Fund by May 31, 2014. The Imagination
Fund not only supports NFB Jernigan Institute
programs, it also helps fund special programs and
projects in state affiliates. Raising money for
the Imagination Fund means finding other peoples’
money! If you want to support the NFB personally,
please consider joining the PAC Plan (More about
the PAC Plan later in these messages.) If you
want to be an Imaginator and raise money for the
Imagination Fund as part of Team NFBMD, , please
reach out to your family, friends, business
contacts, etc. and tell them why the National
Federation of the Blind is important to you. Please ask them for a donation.
·         How do they donate? People can make a
donation to Team NFBMD by visiting
<https://app.mobilecause.com/public/social/9716>https://app.mobilecause.com/public/social/9716
As a member of Team NFBMD, please feel free to
visit this page yourself and use the links
provided to ask for donations from your Facebook
friends and Twitter followers. You can also send
a customized email to your contacts directly from
this page and encourage them to donate. If you
are asking someone for a donation in person, you
can have him or her text the word Maryland to
71777. Or, donors can send a check made out to
NFB with Imagination Fund Maryland in the memo
line to 200 East Wells St.; Baltimore, MD 21230.
The NFBMD has a goal to raise $7500 in
commemoration of the upcoming 75th anniversary of
the national Federation of the Blind. This seems
like a large number, but I know we will be able
to achieve this goal if we all participate as one
team and reach out to those we know to ask them
for their help. We are counting on you; we still
have a long way to go to reach our goal.

·         If you would like to have the NFB
Jernigan Institute create a personal Imaginator
page for you, please send an email to imaginationfund at nfb.org

Coming Next Week:
·         Reports on Chemestry Day at the NFB,
and the end of our spring raffle.
·         Information on the MDPOBC Bowlathon!
·         A report on bill signings.

Dates  to Remember

·         May 7, Envelope stuffing event; 200
East Wells St.; Baltimore. Come and lend a hand!
This event will begin at 8 AM, and an evening shift will start after 5 PM.
·         June 4: Diabetes Seminar: Contact
Debbie Brown at 301-881-1892 for more information
·         June 8, 2014: TENTATIVE--NFB 6 Dot
Dash­A 6K Race to Advance Braille Literacy (Baltimore, Maryland)
·         June 14, NFBMD National Harbor Chapter
& NFBDC Crab Feast: Bladensburg Waterfront Park
Pavilion; 4601 Annapolis Road; Bladensburg, MD
2071021. Contact Michelle Clark at 301-583-8585 to purchase tickets.
·         June 21, MDPOBC Bowlathon: More details
coming soon; contact Trudy Pickrel (301-501-1818) for more information.
·          July 1-6, 2014:
<http://www.nfb.org/national-convention>NFB
National Convention (Orlando, Florida)
·         July 28-August 8: National Federation
of the Blind Braille Enrichment for Literacy and
Learning (BELL) Programs; visit
<http://www.nfb.org/bell>http://www.nfb.org/bell
for more information and to apply
·         August 1, 2014: 7:00 PM NFBMD Crab Feast (Baltimore, Maryland)
·         September 9:
<http://nfb.org/web-accessibility-day>Web
Accessibility Day at NFB Jernigan Institute
·         October 15-17:
<http://www.NFB.org/training-the-trainers>NFB Technology Train the Trainers

·         November 14-16, 2014: NFB of Maryland
Annual Convention (Towson, Maryland)

Please consider
<http://www.nfbmd.org/donate.html>making a
donation today to help us build a future full of
opportunities. You can also
<http://www.carshelpingtheblind.org>donate your
vehicle or support us by
<http://www.nfbpickup.org>giving your old
household goods to our GreenDrop program.

To submit items for possible inclusion in this
weekly email, please send suggestions to
<mailto:President at nfbmd.org>President at nfbmd.org
Be sure to include any related URLs that might provide further information.