[Greater-baltimore] Social Media at Day in Annapolis and Washington Seminar

Chris Nusbaum cnusbaumnfb at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 03:22:32 UTC 2015

Fellow Federationists:

As you know, our Day in Annapolis and Washington Seminar are just around the
corner. As we meet with our state and federal legislators about the bills
which are of most importance to blind Americans, we must also keep up the
pressure on social media. Our state President has told me that we have a
number of new state legislators who are very active on Facebook and Twitter.
In order to most effectively reach them, then, we need to make our
legislative priorities prominent topics on their social networks. I am
therefore asking that you do the following:

1.       As you meet with your state lawmakers during our Day in Annapolis,
please tweet about your experiences using the hashtag #NFBMDDIA15. Please
note that the DIA here will stand for "Day in Annapolis." If you have your
delegate/senator's Twitter handle, please feel free to mention them in your
tweets and use this hashtag. By doing this, your tweets about our issues
will be compiled into one master list of Day in Annapolis tweets which can
be accessed by anyone who searches this hashtag or clicks on it in a tweet.
Similarly, please use the hashtag #NFBWS15 when tweeting about your meetings
with our Congressional representatives during the Washington Seminar. I
along with the rest of our social media team will monitor both hashtags and
retweet as many tweets from individual members on the NFB of Maryland's
Twitter account as possible.

2.       If you are tweeting about a specific issue, please use the
following hashtags which have already been established by our national
organization: #FairWages for the TIME Act, #TEACHAct for the TEACH Act, and
#MarakeshTreaty or #RightToRead for the UN treaty on access to eBooks for
the blind. I will create hashtags for our state issues and get back to these
lists with details.

3.       Please note that hashtags are not exclusive to Twitter. Though they
are most often used on Twitter, they are also seen on Facebook, Instagram
and other social media. So, please feel free to use the above hashtags in
other social media postings; they will have the same effect.

I look forward to seeing a lot of social media activity to complement the
in-person advocacy we will be undertaking in Annapolis and Washington. Let's
put on the pressure!

Chris Nusbaum

Chris Nusbaum, Vice President

Maryland Association of Blind Students

A Division of the National Federation of the Blind of Maryland

Phone: (443) 547-2409

Email: dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com

Twitter: @Chrisn98 and @NFBMD

expectations for blind people, because low expectations create obstacles
blindness is not what holds you back.