[Greater-Baltimore] NFB Night at Oriole Park at Camden Yard

Danielsen, Chris CDanielsen at nfb.org
Thu Sep 13 19:00:46 UTC 2018

Dear Fellow Federationists:

In less than a week, the Baltimore Orioles will celebrate the fortieth anniversary of the National Federation of the Blind moving our headquarters to Baltimore with National Federation of the Blind Night. The big event takes place Tuesday, September 18, when the Orioles play the Toronto Blue Jays. Details about the event from the official Orioles press release are at the bottom of this email.

Several people have asked where NFB fans will be seated at the game. The Baltimore Orioles have generously donated a substantial group of tickets in section 68, in the "lower left field box" seating area of the park. If you are interested in getting some of these free tickets, see below. If you already have tickets that you plan to exchange, or wish to buy your own, then you may wish (but are not required) to purchase tickets in or near Section 68 to be with your NFB friends and some of our local partners. You can order tickets by calling 1-888-848-BIRD (1-888-848-2473), or buy them online at www.orioles.com.

About those free tickets: There are a limited number available, so if you are interested please send me an email at cdanielsen at nfb.org<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>, including your name and ticket requirements, or call me at 410-659-9314, extension 2330. If I do not answer, leave a detailed voice mail that includes your name, the number of tickets you are requesting, and a phone number and/or email address where I can reach you. I will get back to you to let you know if we can fulfill your request. Please be courteous; many folks in your NFB family will also want tickets, so don't try to grab enough tickets for your extended family and their friends. Donated tickets will be assigned on a first-come, first-served basis, until they are gone. If I confirm that your ticket request will be fulfilled, you will need to pick up your tickets at the National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute, 200 East Wells Street, Baltimore MD 21230, starting on Monday September 17 at 8 a.m. and no later than noon on Tuesday, September 18, which is the day of the game. Your tickets will be in an envelope with your name on it at our reception desk located on the fourth floor. You can ask for me there if there are any questions. You can have someone pick up your tickets, but they will need to give your name, which will be checked against our list.

Please note: If you have volunteered to help with the event, you will be contacted by our volunteer coordinator, Karen Anderson, and tickets have already been set aside for you; there is no need to contact me. If you're not sure of whether you'll be needed at the ballpark that night to hand out Braille alphabet cards or staff the OriolesReach booth, then contact Karen at kanderson at nfb.org<mailto:kanderson at nfb.org> or by calling 410-659-9314, extension 2243. Similarly, if you're an NFB partner who requested tickets for the event through Anna Adler, she already has your tickets and will be in touch with you.

This will be a fun night of baseball, Braille, and blind people living the lives we want! I look forward to seeing many of you at "the Yard" on September 18!

Warmly,

Chris

[Orioles Bird logo 2012]

World Champions 1983, 1970, 1966
American League Champions 1983, 1979, 1971, 1970, 1969, 1966
American League East Division Champions 2014, 1997, 1983, 1979, 1974, 1973, 1971, 1970, 1969
American League Wild Card 2016, 2012, 1996

PRESS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                                                                                           September 5, 2018

ORIOLES TO HOST NATIONAL FEDERATION
OF THE BLIND NIGHT ON SEPTEMBER 18

Players and coaches to wear specially-designed jerseys with Braille lettering

[cid:image004.jpg at 01D44B72.537BE350]            In recognition of the 40th anniversary of the National Federation of the Blind (NFB) moving their national headquarters to Baltimore, the Orioles will host National Federation of the Blind Night at Oriole Park on Tuesday, September 18, when they take on the Toronto Blue Jays at 7:05 p.m. ET.

            During the game, Orioles players and coaches will wear specially-designed jerseys with Braille lettering of both "Orioles" and player last names, becoming the first team in American professional sports history to incorporate Braille lettering into their gameday uniforms. The jerseys will be autographed, authenticated, and auctioned at www.orioles.com/auctions<http://www.orioles.com/auctions> to benefit the National Federation of the Blind.

The Orioles will welcome accomplished concert pianist and singer CARLOS ALBERTO IBAY, who has been blind since birth, to perform the national anthem prior to the game. MARK RICCOBONO, President of the National Federation of the Blind, will throw out the ceremonial first pitch.

            The first 15,000 fans in attendance will receive a co-branded NFB/Orioles Braille alphabet card, which will be distributed by volunteers from the NFB. Additionally, members of the NFB will be at the OriolesREACH Community Booth near Gate D during the game.

            Founded in 1940, the NFB is the oldest and largest nationwide organization of blind Americans. With affiliates in all 50 states, DC, and Puerto Rico, the NFB offers programs to enhance learning, increase work opportunities, and improve overall quality of life for blind individuals.

            "The National Federation of the Blind is proud of our seventy-eight years of working together to help all blind Americans live the lives they want," said Riccobono. "For forty of those years, we have coordinated that work from our headquarters here in Baltimore, where we have invested tens of millions of dollars to create a top-notch facility that benefits our organization and the surrounding community. We appreciate this opportunity to partner with our hometown baseball team to share our mission, particularly our commitment to literacy through Braille education, with our fellow Orioles fans."

This unique night is part of the club's larger commitment to making the fan experience at Oriole Park accessible and enjoyable for all fans. National Federation of the Blind Night joins Celebrate ADA Day, hosted earlier this season on July 26, as the second disability awareness night at Oriole Park this year.

The Orioles offer a variety of gameday services and amenities for fans with physical and intellectual disabilities. At each game, assistive listening devices are available at the Fan Assistance Centers behind home plate on the Lower Level Concourse and on the first floor of the Warehouse. Orioles home games are also broadcast without any delay so that blind fans attending the game can learn what is happening on the field in real time. Additionally, ballpark announcements are captioned on Oriole Park scoreboards; nearly 400 equal access seats are available throughout the ballpark, as well as ample on-site, accessible parking; and service animals are welcome at Oriole Park.

Christopher S. Danielsen, J.D.
Director of Public Relations
200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
(410) 659-9314, Ext. 2330 | cdanielsen at nfb.org
Twitter: @rlawyer

[National Federation of the Blind]<https://nfb.org/>

                         [Facebook] <http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>     [Twitter] <https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>     [Youtube] <https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>

The National Federation of the Blind is a community of members and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind. Every day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.

Disclaimer