[Greater-Baltimore] Do you need an Orbit Reader 20?

nfbmd nfbmd at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 16 19:07:24 UTC 2019

Hello all,

Please read the note below and read attached from the Friends of LBPH.
Please apply ASAP. If you want to ensure that you get an Orbit Reader 20,
you may purchase one from the NFB Independence market. Good luck!

Special 2019 Shoot-for-the-Moon
Estelle B. Williamson Award

Friends of LBPH is giving away 10 Orbit-20 Braille Readers

Since 1996, Friends of the Maryland library for the blind has given awards
annually in support of Braille Literacy in the name of one our premier
leaders and founders, Estelle B. Williamson. In the closing months of 2019,
the Friends board is celebrating the 50th anniversary of the landing on the
moon with a different kind of, but no less momentous, accomplishment in the
history of Braille literacy: the development of an affordable Braille
reader, the Orbit-20. Through the Estelle B. Williamson Award program,
Friends is giving away 10 Orbit-20 Braille readers.

What is the Orbit-20? A refreshable 20-cell Braille note-taker and
book-reader which can be used as a stand-alone device or connected to
computers and mobile devices with USB and Bluetooth. It works with all
popular screen readers on Windows, Mac OS, iOS, and Android. The Orbit-20 is
ideal for everyday, personal use and is especially suitable for seniors and
beginning Braille readers.

Who is Eligible?   Blind persons of any age who read Braille or who are
learning Braille, and sighted persons who support and promote Braille
literacy. Applicants must also be Maryland residents or employed in
Maryland. Prior winners are also eligible to apply.

What is the cut-off date? December 31, 2019, or until all ten Orbit-20s have
been awarded.

How do I Apply?  Send the required application information (the actual print
form is not required), including the statement of need by mail or email to:
MAIL: Friends Braille Literacy Award Committee, 230 North Beaumont Ave,
Baltimore, MD 21228.
EMAIL: friends at friendsmdlbph.org

When will I be notified?  Applications will be acknowledged upon receipt and
award notifications with information about shipping will be made within 20
days from receipt.

Will I receive recognition for this award? Awardees are invited to attend
the Fall 2020 Friends Annual Meeting to receive recognition. The meeting is
open to the public and family and friends are welcome to attend. (The date
is announced in the Friends newsletter, Website, and on Facebook)

Questions?  For more information, Contact Barbara Cheadle at  410-747-3472
or Sharon Maneki at 410-715-9596.

Special 2019 Shoot-for-the-Moon
Estelle B. Williamson Award

Application for an Orbit-20 Note-Taker

Deadline - December 31, 2019

Name of Nominee:__________________________________ Date: ________________

Address:_______________________________________________________________

City:___________________________  State:____________  Zip Code:_____________

Email:_________________________________________________________________

Phone (cell):____________________ Phone (other): ___________________________

The nominee for this award is (check all that apply):

_____  Teacher                                           _____  Blind
Student (age ___  grade ___)

            _____  Teacher Aide                                  _____
Blind Adult

            _____  Teacher-In-Training                     _____  Other
_______________________

            _____  Braille Transcriber                        _____  Braille
Transcriber-in-Training

If you are nominating someone other than yourself, please tell us who you
are

Name:_________________________________________________________________

Address:___________________City:_________  State:____  Zip

Please include/attach a brief (one-to-three paragraphs) statement of need
and explanation of how the nominee will use the Orbit-20:

Oct. 2019

Sharon Maneki, Director of Legislation and Advocacy

blindness is not what holds you back.