[Greater-Baltimore] Emergency Action Needed Quickly

Sharon Maneki nfbmdsm at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 17:39:40 UTC 2021

 Hello All,
We must email or call the Senate Education, Health, and Environmental
Affairs Committee and ask them to vote in favor of SB921, the
Accountability Act for Accessible K-12 Education.  The email address is
firstname.lastname at senate.state.md.us . If you are calling, the main number
is either 410-841 or 301-858. I will provide the appropriate extensions. We
need to take action today because the bill needs to get to the House by
Monday, March 22. Here is a sample message followed by the list of
committee members.

Blind Students Need Your Help. They need access to the curriculum. SB921
will solve this problem. We need this bill because this problem cannot be
solved through the IEP process. Please vote in favor of SB921 quickly so
that it can make it to the House in time for crossover.

Here is the list:

Everyone should write to the chairman of the Education, Health, and
Environmental Affairs committee, Senator Paul Pinsky, ext 3155.

If you live in Anne Arundel County, write to Senators Edward Reilly, ext.
3568, and Bryan Simonaire, ext. 3658.

If you live in Baltimore City, write to Senator Mary Washington, ext. 3145.

If you live in Howard County or Baltimore County, write to Senator Clarence
Lam and thank him for sponsoring the bill, ext. 3653.

If you live in Carroll or Howard County, write to Senator Katie Fry Hester (
katiefry.hester at senate.state.md.us), ext. 3671.

If you live in Charles County, write to Senator Arthur Ellis, ext 3616.

If you live in Cecil or Harford County, write to Senator Jason Gallion,
ext. 3603.

If you live in Montgomery County, write to Senator Cheryl Kagan, ext. 3134.

If you live in Prince George's County, write to Senator Obie Patterson,
ext. 3092.

If you live in Somerset, Wicomico, or Worcester County, write to Senator
Mary Beth Carroza, ext 3645.

*Sharon Maneki, Director of Legislation and Advocacy*

The National Federation of the Blind of Maryland knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Everyday we raise
the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles
blindness is not what holds you back.