[Greater-Baltimore] [The Night Kitchen & JWST] Ready to Go Stargazing?

LaShawn Myles -LBPD- lashawn.myles at maryland.gov
Tue Nov 2 17:50:46 UTC 2021

*Get ready to learn, be amazed, and explore... with "The Night Kitchen"*
*Episode 2: **Stargazing (What does the sky look like?) *
*Release Date: 11/5/21*
We are going out for a night of stargazing.  Come along as we explore the
night sky.  For thousands of years, people have been looking up at the sky
and imagining shapes and pictures from the patterns of the stars.  The
moon, the sun, and the stars... let's explore them all in the "Night
Kitchen".

*Supporting Activities*
*Webb vs Hubble Telescope*
Webb often gets called the replacement for Hubble, but we prefer to call it
a successor. Hubble's science pushed us to look to longer wavelengths to
"go beyond" what Hubble has already done.
https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/about/comparisonWebbVsHubble.html

*Hubble and Webb: Friends in the Sky* https://youtu.be/7ZR7Bdqdksk

*NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope*
Sunday, November 14 • 4:00 p.m. • YouTube
NASA’s newest space telescope, the James Webb, is scheduled to launch in
late 2021.  This incredible engineering wonder will allow scientists to do
things that humankind has only dreamed of such as peering through the
clouds of interstellar gas and dust that obscures stars in nebulae to
seeing back to the very beginning of time in the universe.  Hear all about
the history and plans for the JWST and prepare for what promises to be one
of the greatest storytellers of all time. Take part in a YouTube Live event
with an interactive live chat feature.  Q and A will be available
throughout the presentation.
Log in five minutes before the start time and look for the live event HERE
<https://www.youtube.com/user/mjguillette>

*Astronomy for the Sight Impaired **Lesson: *
*The Light Year and Look-back Time*
*(Provided from University of Washington/ Astronomy Department
<http://depts.washington.edu/astron/outreach/astronomy-for-the-sight-impaired/>)
*
This lesson covers the meaning of light-years and why astronomers use such
a measurement of distance. Because light travels at a finite speed, we can
also refer to "look-back" time and how telescopes are really time machines:
the farther away we look, the farther back in time we are seeing. We are
seeing the object as it was hundreds, thousands, millions, or billions of
years ago. Look-back time is demonstrated with a fun activity passing
tiny-to-large plastic snakes on foam board to represent pictures taken at
1-year intervals going out to space stations light-years away.
Uses Noreen Grice’s "Touch the Stars" *(JUB00157)* as our primary text.
This book has excellent tactile illustrations by Shirley Keller and Irma
Goldberg. The text is in Braille with print and facsimiles of the tactile
illustrations for sighted readers. Also Grice’s "Touch the Sun"
*(BR017022) *for the module on the Sun.

*NASA @ My Library Reading Challenge *
Sign up and receive your official NASA sticker (1 per person).  Challenge
starts on December 1st.   Sign up at Beanstack using the following link:
https://marylandlbph.beanstack.org

Best,
LaShawn

--

LaShawn Myles

Youth Services Librarian

Maryland State Library for the Blind and Print Disabled

Maryland State Library

415 Park Avenue

Baltimore, Maryland 21201-3603

410-230-2455 <(410)%20230-2454> (office)

410-333-2095 <(410)%20333-2095> (fax)

lashawn.myles at maryland.gov
Click here
<https://www.doit.state.md.us/selectsurvey/TakeSurvey.aspx?agencycode=MSL&SurveyID=86M2956>
complete a three question customer experience survey.

*Follow us on Social Media!*

   - Facebook - MDLBPD <https://www.facebook.com/MDLBPD/>
   - Twitter - MDLBPD <https://twitter.com/MDLBPD/>
   - Linked In - Maryland State Library for the Blind and Print Disabled
   <https://www.linkedin.com/company/64623671/admin/>
   - Blog- https://mdlbpd.blogspot.com/