[Greater-Baltimore] Sad News: Lloyd Rasmussen

president at nfbmd.org president at nfbmd.org
Tue Sep 14 02:28:16 UTC 2021

Federation Family,

I am very sorry to share that our brother in the Federation, Lloyd
Rasmussen, passed away early this morning.  Lloyd was a brilliant man,
having been one of the first blind people to become an engineer and work in
his field; he served at the Library of Congress National Library for the
Blind and Print Disabled for nearly 46 years.  He helped develop and
implement dozens of NLS programs.  If you listen to talking books, you have
Lloyd to thank.  If you use BARD, you have Lloyd to thank.  If you have an
NLS Braille display, you have Lloyd to thank.  And these are just a few of
his contributions.

Lloyd was a fierce advocate for Braille, and he worked to make sure others
could access it.  In fact, Lloyd was responsible for creating and formatting
our state convention Braille agendas for literally decades.

Lloyd was an outstanding sound engineer and technology enthusiast.  In fact,
Lloyd has served as the audio engineer for all of the NFB of Maryland
Braille is Beautiful plays.

Lloyd loved music.  As a member of the Cane Raisers, he wrote or sang many
of the songs that are now our Federation melodies.

Lloyd also was a man of strong faith.  He led the affiliate's Sunday morning
devotionals for many years.

Lloyd was also an amateur radio operator, having begun when he was in third
grade.  His call sign was W3IUU.

Lloyd previously served as President of the Sligo Creek Chapter in the
1980s.  He has served in many leadership roles since moving to Maryland in
1975.  When he passed, he was the chapter secretary.

Lloyd leaves behind his beloved wife of 40 years, Judy Rasmussen.

Lloyd's services will take place later this week in Iowa.  There will be a
memorial service at a later date, and we will share information once it is
available.

Please keep Lloyd, Judy, and their friends and family in your thoughts and
prayers.

Ronza Othman, President

Pronouns: she, her, hers

blindness is not what holds you back.