[gui-talk] The address bar:

Joel Deutsch jdeutsch at dslextreme.com
Tue Nov 4 19:18:53 UTC 2008

Albert,

when I read Steve's response, below, I thought it was true and obvious. I
wondered what the problem had been, so to speak. So I arrowed below to your
own message, which I'd overlooked earlier, to see what you'd asked. And I
notice that you asked if the address tool bar is worthwhile keeping
onscreen. Now, maybe I don't understand the terminology properly, but I've
always thought the address bar, which is what Steve's talking about, and the
tool bar were two entirely different things, though I'm pretty sure one's
right above the other in Internet Explorer. Did you really mean what's the
use of keeping the address bar? Because Steve's right and all I'd say to
confirm that is suggest you get rid of it in one way or the other (you can
do this with some setting, probably in the view menu, but you can also do it
by having IE display in full screen mode, which is F11 or something like
that. It's also on the View menu, I think. You'd quickly see in that case
that not only is the address bar gone, but you won't even have menus
anymore. That's a pretty radical deprivation, of course. but either way,
you'd soon see that the address bar itself is good to be there, and I can't
imagine what I'd do without it. I use it constantly.

But if what you really mean is the tool bar, I guess there are ways to
accomplish a number of the tool bar functions without using it, although I'm
not sure if the windows or Jaws key commands for those functions all still
work if you get rid of the tool bar. But the point is, these are two
different things. Or am I crazy? I don't know. I just had a weird time at my
local precinct polling  place trying to use the little blind gizmo. But
that's another story.