[gui-talk] opening messages in gmail with Jaws

Joel Deutsch jdeutsch at dslextreme.com
Tue Nov 4 20:51:46 UTC 2008

Sherri,
Well, I'm still not quite sure what you're up to, but I think you mean
you've already done what I sent you to see instructions for doing, yes? And
all you want to know is how on earth to deal with email right there on the
Google Mail site, if you feel like opening a message there and maybe
learning how to reply or forward right from there, which sounds not too
difficult to learn with Jaws unless, like me and I think like you, too, your
incoming messages don't have header lines that Jaws speaks as if you could
click on them, as you'd click open a message in your OE Inbox. And if you do
click on the line that seems to open the message, it's not that easy to even
find where the message begins, let alone anything else. And some people wil
tell you to make sure your gmail display is set to simple HTML, and others
(including gmail's own advice) will warn you that many features and controls
won't appear as operable unless you use the Standard setting, and so on and
so forth? Well, I can't say anything helpful about that. I've already spent
hours trying to figure out that same stuff, and bumbled around and managed
almost by accident to open a message despite the fact that what I clicked on
didn't say it was a clickable thing, and so forth. I really don't want to
mess with it anymore, and if I'm using my OE with POP3 so I don't have to go
there, I just won't bother. Yes, I'll have trouble checking the spam folder
if I have to, because I can't quite figure out how to get around some
things, but I'm too worn out from trying at this point and just happy to
have the POP3 arrangement.

Good luck. Sorry.