[gui-talk] Microsoft Outlook 2003 and 2007

Baracco, Andrew W Andrew.Baracco at va.gov
Mon Aug 31 16:41:56 UTC 2009

Hi Steve,

Here at work, we recently switched from Office 2003 to 2007.  In
Outlook, you do have the ribbon, even though I find that I seldom have
to use it.  The big difference is the way that messages are displayed
and read.  Outlook 2007 uses MS Word as its editor, and you can't change
that.  It also displays all messages in the web view, and I have not
been able to figure out how to change that.  JAWS will only read
messages automatically if you hit ENTER on a message in the message
list.  It will not read automatically if you hit CONTROL-D on an open
message and the next one opens.  Window Eyes by default will not read
any message automatically.  There is a script called "Read Mail" which
supposedly will emulate the JAWS behavior of reading to end when you
open a message, but I find that after reading a few messages, it will
read only the first few lines, and then the reading stops even though
the cursor keeps moving.  You notice this if you have a Braille display,
because the Braille will keep scrolling even though the speech stops.
In my case, I had no choice, but if you have any choice at all in the
matter, I would stick with Office 2003.

Andy