[gui-talk] Accessible phone

Wayne Merritt wcmerritt at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 00:58:45 UTC 2009

If you can afford to do so, you can buy unlocked phones off the web
that will work on any carrier. These are usually more expensive, but
you can often find deep discounts on them. For instance, when I bought
my Nokia N82 unlocked phone a year ago, it retailed for over $600, but
Amazon had it for about $300. All I had to do as far as the carrier
went was transfer my SIM card from one phone to the other, and when
turned on and after some initial time/date settings, everything worked
and was recognized from the AT&T side.

Also, depending on cariers and their coverage in your area, if you
haven't signed your new contract yet and just want to stay with what
you know, Talks does support one of the Motorola Q9C Windows Mobile
smart phones on the Verizon network. Currently though, that's the only
Windows Mobile phone that Talks supports. If you're looking for
something along those lines though, in type of phone, then check out
the Nokia E-series line of phones, such as E52, E71, E75, and so
forth. Many of these have slide out keyboards and other features that
the regular candy bar style phones don't have. You may not find them
in the stores though, so you may have to buy it blind, so to speak,
unless you know someone that has an E-series phone and can look at it
ahead of time. Since cell phone buttons can be hit or miss as far as
how they're presented, I like to feel the phone ahead of time if I can
do so.

Good luck,
Wayne