[gui-talk] New laptop problem 1: in Google search, touching any key...

Joel Deutsch jdeutsch at dslextreme.com
Sat Dec 26 00:03:39 UTC 2009

I'm patiently putting in an hour or so each day trying to memorize the
layout of my new Acer laptop's keyboard, with the frequent help of the
Insert 1 command where Jaws says which key you've pressed and what it does.
With a couple of mysterious exceptions where Jaws says nothing.

here's today's problem. I've succeeded in going to the Google search page,
which is easy to do because all I have to do is launch Internet Explorer,
and that's set as my home page.

Fine. Now I'm trying to learn to navigate the page as I do on my desktop
(this Acer has a number [pad, so I'm using the desktop keyboard layout) and,
of course, get into the edit field in order to type in a search string
before activating the search function.

Well, I confess I haven't checked to make sure that auto Forms Mode is on or
off on this machine. I have it turned off on my desktop. never got my mind
around that one, so I don't use it, even though Jaws no longer conveniently
says "Forms Mode on" when I hear "edit" and hit Enter.

But anyway, that's a digression. Just confused by the little beep sounds
that are supposed to tell you when you're going in and out of Forms Mode,
even if you've got Auto forms mode and sounds turned off. Go figure.

Anyway, around this point, if I just lightly touch any key on the keyboard,
from the control key to some letter key, jaws tells me I'm on the Desktop!
Never had this happen to me, before. I had to teach myself where the Tab key
was, use it to get to the Task Bar, and press enter on Internet Explorer to
be taken back to my google search page.

What'ws What's happening? Why does just a touch anywhere ghrow me back onto
the Desktop? This is confusing. And this is only my *first* question. yes,
if I don't master this Acer keyboard a little bit in a week or two, I'm
going to get a USB standard keyboard to plug into it, and make do with the
sort of silly setup that will lead to, with the keyboard sitting on my knees
and the open laptop on the floor beside me where I can still hear jaws. But
this ain't what I had in mind when I bought a laptop, for sure. I thought I
could get used to the keyboard.

any suggestions with this issue? Just this one?

Thanjks,Thanks,
joel