[gui-talk] Follow-up to my laptop question

Joel Deutsch jdeutsch at dslextreme.com
Sat Dec 26 00:58:31 UTC 2009

For what it's worth, I think I stopped the mysterious thing with my Acer
going to the Desktop whenever I did nothing more than touch a key while on
the Google search page. I'm not sure, but I've got my fingers crossed.

It may be important that I managed to get into Configuration manager, enter
into the Default file, and set the Auto forms mode to off and no sounds,
either. Now it behaves more like my desktop, and even says forms Mode On
when I hear "edit" and press enter.

As i said, I'm teaching myself to feel out this keyboard with the frequent
help of the Insert 1 Jaws command that speaks each key and describes its
function, where it's not simply an alphanumeric key.

Very disciplined approach, better than freaking out, which I did a couple of
days ago when I tried too much, too fast, and failed. But it's like learning
Braille, which i tried with a distance learning course a few years ago but
couldn't push on past one exercise book. Too much mental strain, and my
fingers just couldn't feel things well enough. no, I don't have peripheral
neuropathy. But I'm 65 and my fingertips aren't sensitive and springy like a
younger person's are. Duller.

But I'll keep trying to learn the geography of this keyboard, just out of
stubbornness and to try to avoid having to get a USB keyboard for it, which
screws up my whole daydream of being able to use a laptop properly, with the
help of Jaws.

And for the memory of Al Griffith, who would have wanted me to at least give
it a good try, I think. Boy, do I miss Albert.

Happy Christmas and all that. Thanks for letting me share my problems and
those feelings.
Joel