[gui-talk] Still hassling with my laptop keyboard

Joel Deutsch jdeutsch at dslextreme.com
Thu Dec 31 06:07:43 UTC 2009

Ted,

Thanks a lot for the moral support. I've been putting in about an hour of
just practicing nearly every day, and I can see that I've begun to memorize
and visualize (a formerly sighted person's habitual way of mapping things
the little keyboard, and I guess I'm making some progress. I'm still a long
way from my fantasy of sitting back in an easy chair with the laptop on my
knees and just typing away; even when I get more of the keyboard memorized,
I know I'll probably always be struck by the feeling that it isn't a normal
typist's keyboard. Wrong hand position, and that slab of "hand rest," I
guess it's thought of, just screws things up if you're a serious typist. If
children were all given their first piano lessons on something akin to this,
not many of them would grow up to be serious pianists, I'm afraid.

But I'll keep working at it and see if I can develop a level of skill and
comfort that's "good enough," to steal a phrase from psychology. The
good-enough mother, it was.

Thanks again for the moral support. I was starting to think I was really
lame. Now I see it's truly difficult, but can be done if you're determined.

Joel
comfrot comfory sts, I'm afraid. up enconenienced comp7utguess)