[gui-talk] RAM and Vista 64

Lloyd Rasmussen lras at loc.gov
Mon Jan 12 16:31:00 UTC 2009

You must be assuming that a suitable 64-bit screen reader will be available
and "trock solid" when you purchase the computer.  I have heard the
announcements.

Foreseeable applications may not need that much RAM, but you will probably
be happy you bought more RAM if the PC is still being used 5 years from
now.  Currently known uses for large amounts of RAM include compiling large
programs, editing video and audio, etc.  Some programs may come out that
create huge RAM disks, as existed in the DOS days.  But I would expect some
compatibility problems with existing software for the first couple of
years.  Just remember what Bill Gates said:  "640K ought to be enough for
anyone."

I'm quite happy with 1 GB of RAM on a Windows XP 3-year-old machine at
home, with 96 MB on a Windows 98 machine at home, and with 4 MB on a DOS
386 machine I still have working at home.  But 256 MB on my 6-year-old
LapTalk running XP is not very comfortable.

At 10:43 AM 1/12/2009, you wrote:
>I am plannin on purchasing a new desktop running a Vista 64 bit operating
>system.
>Most base desktops have at least 4 Gig of RAM and most can be increased to
>8 Gig.  Being a long time computer user from way back in the DOS days the
>more RAM the better.
>Having search the net for info I am getting conflicting info as to whether
>the extra RAM is really used under the 64 bit OS.  It seems that this is
>based on the fact that few 64 bit applications exist and the 32 bit
>applications have limits on their use of RAM.
>Does anyone have any further insight on this subject?  Since I purchase
>new computers rarely I want to buy one which will last at least several years.
>Thanks

Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Project Engineer, Engineering Section
National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress    (202) 707-0535   <http://www.loc.gov/nls>
HOME:  <http://lras.home.sprynet.com>
The opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent
those of NLS.