[gui-talk] book impressions

tribble lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 19 23:09:57 UTC 2009

Hi all --
I finally picked up and finished the book "Blindness".  My opinion after
listening to the last half of the book is that I agree with the NFB's
assessment and condemnation of the story. I'm all for allegory and artistic
use of metaphore, but this book I thought crossed the line into mean
spirited defamation of blind persons in general.  It was also a bit
pornographic in parts, which would offend some readers.
At the end, after they all get their sight back, there was one interesting
comment.  The doctor, whose wife was the only sighted person in the
compound, asks,
Do you want me to tell you what I think, Yes, do, I don't think we did go
blind, I think we are blind, Blind but seeing, Blind people who can see, but
do not see.

This came the closest to being profound of anything in the book.
Anyway, the only positive about the book was that it was written well and
fast moving.  It's too bad such a talented author couldn't find better
subject matter to write about.
My 2 cents. Anyone else waste their time reading it?
--le