[gui-talk] the new and improved bookshare.org

tribble lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 21 20:02:15 UTC 2009

afaik is "as far as I know"
--le

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joel Deutsch" <jdeutsch at dslextreme.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 11:34 AM
Subject: Re: [gui-talk] the new and improved bookshare.org

Raul,

a couple of questions. First of all, what is AFAIK? I never heard that word
before.

Second, I know nothing about the history of Bookshare in regard to file
types it's used to download material. But I have used .zip files and
unpacked/extracted them on my computer with several different programs over
the years, and although I was quite aware that you most likely couldn't read
a compressed text file if you tried to, I didn't know that was considered
deliberate encryption. Maybe there's always been an option in these unzip
programs' menus that offered encryption and/or decryption, and I never
noticed that because I didn't explore those menus item by item in ever case
with Jaws and of course didn't just *see* the options the way a sighted
person would without really trying.

And now I generally extract the contents of a zipped file by just opening my
applications context menu from the keyboard (just to the left of the right
control key) and choosing Extract or Extract Here or whatever. So I still
don't notice anything about encryption, maybe because I explored that menu
once, but then forgot most of it except the options I use.

Anyway, thanks. I'm sure if I were to join Bookshare, it would work just
fine .
Joel