[gui-talk] opinions needd

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Wed Jan 28 14:51:55 UTC 2009

Liz,

I bought my laptop before these small and less expensive computers came along so they were not an option.  However, I spent a little extra money to get something
that was lighter and smaller.  Laptops can vary greatly in size and weight.  Without getting into the super light models, they can vary from just a bit more than four
pounds to almost eight.  People don't realize how heavy seven pounds can be until you are carrying it around a lot.  Some of the cheaper full laptops are also the
heavier.  If I were confronted with buying a heavy laptop or one of the NetBooks, I would go with the NetBook.  If I couldn't get used to the keyboard, I'd probably
buy one of those portable keyboards, but a  person can get used to a lot.  However, I would also be careful about buying the lowest cost Netbook.  You need more
than 10 gigs now to put on windows, a screen reader and something like Microsoft Office unless you are willing to really clean up files.  Officially, 10 gigs is plenty,
but my experience with a 10 gig desktop and a friends with a 10 gig netbook would indicate that this really isn't practical.  There are a number of ways to avoid the
problem.  Certainly jump drives can help, but you will probably want more permanent disk space whether it is a disk drive or larger FLASH drive.  Once you start
adding too many features, you can reach the point that you are not saving that much money over an inexpensive laptop.  Again, though, if you look at a cheap
laptop, check out the weight.  The NetBook may still be a good deal.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson