[gui-talk] checking virus news or hoax

Joel Deutsch jdeutsch at dslextreme.com
Sat Jan 31 13:46:20 UTC 2009

Albert,

I do all that. I wasn't worried for the sake of my safety. I was simply
asking where the snopes site was, I mean, I was trying to recall what it was
called, so that I could introduce it to a 13-year-old friend who, not
surprisingly, finally received her first email virus warning that had gone
from group email list to group email list and wound up arriving at her group
of friends' addresses. So I went to Snopes and read the whole story of how
this started out as a partially true warning about 2 1/2 years ago, got
augmented over time with the message looking more and more amateurish at
every step (quote Microsoft says" and "there's no defense against this virus
and never will be" and a few other such dead-giveaway gems.

Then I emailed her the link to the page with the story, right from the page
using IE7's Files menu. Then I called her on the phone and explained she
should bookmark the site and that it will make her ten times as
sophisticated and intelligently skeptical about this stuff as anyone who has
passed the message on to her.

I emphasized that viruses and other such malware aren't nonexistent
semicolon in fact, they're more present today than even a year or two ago,
by a dramatic factor. But I then explained that having an efficient  virus
filter working at your email provider's site left paren Yahoo mail for her
right paren , having a security firewall left paren she uses the same
hardware router as I do, installed by the same I T professional guy right
paren and knowing how to be careful about unexpected file attachment even
from friends' whose systems may have been borrowed by a bot is how to live
with this, and that email  circulating warnings are nearly always worthless.

So you see, it was an educational job I was doing, given the right
opportunity, and it's just that I forgot the name Snopes. I simply haven't
had to consult it, myself, for a long time, and it finally drifted out of
memory, as I find things like proper names, street names and so forth do
after not left quote reading right quote them for too long. I've forgotten
most of the street names in my own neighborhood x number of years after
having stopped seeing their signs, first while driving by them, later while
walking past. Except the ones just bordering my block to the immediate
north, south, east and west. Interesting connection regarding memory storage
and circuitry. Yes, of course I can deliberately memorize things if I
determine I ought to. But that approach has now become such a deliberate
exercise that deciding to do it has to have a clear need and purpose for me,
where the reinforcement once was simply automatic even if i weren't always
looking directly at the word or phrase on purpose but it passed within my
general view with any frequency.

But that's about me and my curiosity about the neurological connections
between vision and memory retention.

Hope that's clear. Sorry if I inadvertently made it seem as if I were
calling for help about an issue that I already suspected so strongly to be
bogus that I wouldn't likely have given it a second thought if it hadn't
seemed to present a good teaching opportunity.

Joel
reae gone fom inroduce rhw amy