[gui-talk] Fwd: Facebook and window-eyes

Steve Pattison srp at internode.on.net
Thu Jun 25 04:05:15 UTC 2009

 From:    Larry Thacker Jr. toastmaster at lionsrealm.net
 To:      Rebecca Ilniski rilniski at verizon.net

I'm a little late to the game but since I didn't see anyone responding with
good answers I'll try to help.  First, some general suggestions.  I haven't
tried the mobile site but it does make sense that it would work better.
I've discovered a new problem lately when opening the profile page where the
screen must be redrawn before most of what's supposed to be there can be
found.  This is in Firefox 3.11.  I do suggest using Firefox.  IE exposes a
lot of information you don't need and some of which you can't even use.
You'll get less clutter with Firefox and unless IE 8 and/or WE 7.1 has
improved the situation you will also find less of a slowdown.  Last time I
tried to use FB on IE it was very very slow when working with edit boxes.
In addition to the other things people have told you, another gotcha is that
FB puts up a lot of popups as you're doing things.  Truth be told I cheat
and use what little vision I have to click in these, but there is generally
a bit of related text you should be able to search for.  The trouble is
knowing when to do it.  If you activate a link and nothing seems to happen,
try a redraw and then some strategic searches.

Now for the specifics.  For the benefit of others I'll simplify this a bit
more than may be necessary for you.  I'm going to do it without cheating and
describe what I'm doing.  First I went to my profile by finding and
activating the profile link.  The I searched for info.  When that didn't
work I redrew the screen and tried again.  The first find lands you on the
word Information under your picture.  The second find should land you on the
info tab link unless that word happens to appear in something you've posted.
Next I searched for the word "edit" until I found "Edit Contact
Information."  You could of course search for the whole phrase now that you
know it.  Activating that link didn't seem to do anything, so I redrew the
screen.  (Note someone used the word refresh.  Don't do that in this case.
Use the redraw hotkey.)  Now you will find the section expanded.  At the
bottom of the section is an on-click that says "Add another screen name."
Again no feedback occurs when you activate this.  Another redraw is required
and then a find on the above phrase.  Navigating up from the on-click you
find a new blank screen name box and a combo box defaulting to AIM.  From
here you can activate the edit control, enter your screen name, then tab to
the combo box and select your service.  When you're done go back into Browse
Mode and find "Save."  Click that and you've got your screen name added.
The other item you want to add should have a similar process, but as I
remember from my first experience with Facebook it can be a bit more
trouble.  Facebook will try to predict what you want to enter.  You may find
Browse Mode activating at random as you try to type in the name.  Insert-A
while in BM will stop this.  I imagine you can type in whatever you want.
The disadvantage may be that if you don't get an exact match to what FB
already knows about people who search on the item won't find you.  You might
be able to use the mouse to find FB's suggestions and pick the right one.
Hope that helps some.

Larry
http://facebook.com/larry.thacker.jr

From: Rebecca Ilniski rilniski at verizon.net
To: gw-info at gwmicro.com

Hi everyone.  I'm having trouble editing my profile on facebook.  First I
want to add me as an Edinboro alum of 99 and then I would like to add screen
names.  The site is difficult to navigate and edit using window-eyes.  Has
anyone had any success with this and if so how do I go about doing this?

Rebecca Ilniski and Nuncio
facebook: www.facebook.com/rebeccai5
twitter: www.twitter.com/rilniski

Regards Steve