[gui-talk] information on a U S B portable disk drive

Joel Deutsch jdeutsch at dslextreme.com
Fri Jun 26 15:23:14 UTC 2009

Hi Bloom,

I'm using Jaws 10 to read your message, in which you say that one of the
things you're interested in doing with this hardware is installing.
Installing what? Please look again at your post. If the comma after the word
"installing" is there by accident then you don't mean what I thought. You
may mean you wish to copy onto it the list of things following , rather than
that you wish to install some unspecified programs and applications. I guess
this might seem to be just about grammar and punctuation, but the difference
completely changes the meaning of the sentence and is not easy for some
people to understand or infer what you might mean. Someone else may gloss
over this and get it the way you meant it, despite what I've said. Fine. .
We are all different in our levels of education, I understand that. I'm just
asking what you meant. Personally, I often understand when people are using
English as a second language, because I know a little of other languages and
have friends from many other countries, so I can easily recognize many
different patterns of mistakes. But with native English speakers, I can get
confused because I'm not expecting the unusual glitches I run across
sometimes, as in this case, which don't fit into any familiar categories
like those.

so I would like to be sure what you want to use the drive for. Do you wish
to install programs to run from it? Or do you wish to use it as a medium
onto which you can copy and back up a variety of file types? thanks a lot.