[gui-talk] inaccessibility and the reasons why: was: Re: Google Chrome

Ray Foret jr rforetjr at comcast.net
Tue Jun 30 18:55:13 UTC 2009

Kris, I sort of hate to tell you this; but, frankly, I doubt very much that
the people at Google couldn't care less about accessibility complaints no
matter how many of us complain.  Why?  Simple.  We don't make enough money
to be bothered with.  So far, I've found this to be the case with every
company who has inaccessible products.  You can't ever find out who the
proper person or people is/are to talk to in the company; and, even if you
do, you're just one person; so, what do they care?  Even if every blind
person in America complains, it wouldn't make them a bit of difference.
What would it take?  It would take something which I very much doubt the
members of the NFB would ever approve.  It would take a massive class action
law suit against every single company which makes anything electronic or
computerwise.  This suit would have to name each and every one.  I once
heard that a maker of cell phones stated quite bluntly that they would not
make their cell hones accessible unless they were sued for not doing it.  In
fact, that's the only reason Apple computer has bothered to come out with
Voice Over on the Mac.  They were afraid of being sued by schools if they
didn't do it; and, besides, they would lose a lot of business too.  Well,
that's what it's going to take to really change this.

Sincerely,
The Constantly BAREFOOTED Ray

"Old friend, what are you looking for?  After those many years abroad you
come With images you tended Under foreign skies Far away from your own land"
George Seferis

Phone or Fax::
+1 (985) 360-3614
Cell: