[gui-talk] Fwd: Part 1: Window-eyes HotSpot 3.0 isn't mousy any more, check it out!

Steve Pattison srp at internode.on.net
Fri Apr 9 06:25:59 UTC 2010

 From:    Rick Alfaro rick.alfaro at gmail.com
 To:      gw-info at gwmicro.com

The purpose of this post is to encourage folks to take a good look at
HotSpot 3.0.  It does a lot more now than move your mouse pointer around and
click on stuff.

There is more power here than folks can imagine.  This should definitely be
included in the factory scripts.

I'll give an example that I just put together in less than 3 minutes.

If you use Outlook 2007, you will know how annoying it is to read an html
message.  For best results one has to tell Outlook to open the message in
your browser.  This is normally accomplished by doing the following key
sequence.
Alt-h then x then v.

I just solved my problem by creating a new HotSpot definition that I
assigned to Windows o.
1.	 Make sure you are in Outlook 2007 with an html message open.
2.	 Bring up the new hotspot dialog, default key is alt control p.
3.	Give it a name, I called it "Open in browser".
4.	Assign this definition to a key, I used Windows o.
5.	Tab over to add action and press enter.
6.	Choose insert key from the list of actions and press enter.
7.	You will be in a dialog you are used to seeing when defining a new
hotkey.  Press alt c to capture the keystroke and when prompted to type the
key, hit alt h.
8.	Repeat the same thing to add x and v as insert key actions.
9.	Tab over to add and hit enter.
10.	You're done so test it out by hitting Windows o or whatever key you
decided to assign this definition to.

The html message should now open into your browser with just one keystroke.

This works on my system but you may need to tweak this to work on yours by
possibly adding a couple of delays.  I didn't need to do that however.

Within the new hotspot dialog you probably noticed some other edit boxes and
buttons that deal with the mouse position.  For this example, those can be
ignored because this HotSpot does absolutely nothing with the mouse pointer.

That in fact, is part of the point of this message.  Although HotSpot was
originally created to do things with the mouse, that is no longer the case.
HotSpot 3.0 goes way beyond that now and gives us a whole lot of power in
one easy to use script.  Those of us that are not scripters can really do
some cool stuff now beyond what was possible with set files.

Also, if you are an Adaptive Technology Consultant and have run into
situations where set files wouldn't cut it, try using HotSpot 3.0 to
possibly create a solution before trying to get a script written.  You might
be pleasantly surprised.

My little example above is just a very simple thing.  The ability to search
for a string as part of a definition along with all of the other action
possibilities coupled with the ability to chain hotspots together makes this
script an extremely powerful tool so make sure to check it out and give it a
try.

--Regards,

--Rick alfaro
--rick.alfaro at gmail.com